The First Gentleman
|The First Gentleman|
UK theatrical poster
|Directed by||Alberto Cavalcanti|
|Produced by||Joseph Friedman|
|Written by||Reginald Long
play by Norman Ginsbury
|Music by||Lennox Berkeley|
|Edited by||Margery Saunders|
Columbia British Productions
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|March 1948 (UK)|
The First Gentleman is a 1948 British historical drama film directed by Alberto Cavalcanti and starring Jean-Pierre Aumont, Joan Hopkins and Cecil Parker. It portrays the relationships and marriage of George, Prince Regent and his tense dealings with other members of his family such as Princess Charlotte and the Duke of York. It was also released as Affairs of a Rogue.The film is based on a play, "The First Gentleman" by Norman Ginsbury, which was staged in London in 1945, starring Robert Morley as the Prince Regent and Wendy Hiller as Princess Charlotte.
The film traces the reign of the Prince Regent following the Napoleonic wars, and the Prince's attempts to marry off his unruly daughter Charlotte to a number of acceptable nobles, but to no avail because she falls for Leopold, a poverty-stricken German prince. Charlotte's marriage to Leopold is a happy one until the birth of their child.
- Jean-Pierre Aumont - Prince Leopold
- Joan Hopkins - Princess Charlotte
- Cecil Parker - Prince Regent
- Margaretta Scott - Lady Hartford
- Jack Livesey - Edward
- Ronald Squire - Brougham
- Athene Seyler - Miss Knight
- Anthony Hawtrey - Sir Richard Croft
- Hugh Griffith - Bishop of Salisbury
- Gerard Heinz - Doctor Stockmar
- George Curzon - Duke of York
- Betty Huntley-Wright - Princess Elizabeth
- Tom Gill - Prince William
- Lydia Sherwood - Princess Augusta
- Frances Waring - Queen Charlotte
- TV Guide called it "a poorly mounted costume drama with a complicated script that moves at a snail's pace."
- Allmovie wrote, "swamped in period costumes and decor, Affairs of a Rogue is consistently good to look at, even when the plotline begins to drag."
- "The First Gentleman | Jane Austen's World". Janeaustensworld.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "The Affairs Of A Rogue Review". Movies.tvguide.com. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "The First Gentleman (1948) - Trailers, Reviews, Synopsis, Showtimes and Cast". AllMovie. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
|This article related to a British film of the 1940s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|