The First and Last Freedom
|The First and Last Freedom|
|Country||United States (Published simultaneously in the United Kingdom)|
|Publisher||Harper & Brothers|
|Pages||288 pp (first edition)|
The First and Last Freedom is a book by Jiddu Krishnamurti (1895–1986), originally published 1954.
About the work
This was the second of Krishnamurti's books to be published by mainstream commercial publishers. According to one source, as of 2006[update] there had been "36 editions published between 1954 and 2006 in 9 languages and held by 1,566 libraries worldwide". The foreword was written by Aldous Huxley, who was a longtime friend of Krishnamurti.
The first part of the book has 21 chapters:
- What are we seeking?
- Individual and Society
- Action and Idea
- What is the Self?
- Relationship and Isolation
- The Thinker and the Thought
- Can Thinking solve our problems?
- The Function of the Mind
- Self-centered Activity
- Time and Transformation
- Power and Realization
The second part of the book has questions and answers from his talks.
- Jiddu, Krishnamurti (1954). The First and Last Freedom. Foreword by Aldous Huxley. London: Gollancz. 288 pp. OCLC 59002436. First United Kingdom edition (published simultaneously with the United States edition).
- —— (1975). The First and Last Freedom. Foreword by Aldous Huxley (reprint ed.). San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco. 288 pp. ISBN 978-0-06-064831-2.
- —— (2003). The First and Last Freedom. Foreword by Aldous Huxley. Chennai: Krishnamurti Foundation India. 264 pp. ISBN 978-81-87326-41-0.
- Fausset, Hugh I'Anson (14 May 1954). "Bond and Free". The Times Literary Supplement (London: News International). p. 317. ISSN 0307-661X. Review of the 1st UK edition.
- 1st UK edition.
- "Works by Krishnamurti, J. (Jiddu) 1895-1986". WorldCat Identities. Online Computer Library Center (OCLC). 2010. Retrieved 2010-08-15.
- Huxley, Aldous (1975) [originally published 1954]. "Foreword". In (author) Jiddu, Krishnamurti. The First and Last Freedom. San Francisco: HarperSanFrancisco. pp. 9–18. ISBN 978-0-06-064831-2. J.Krishnamurti Online no. 306. Retrieved 2010-06-24.
- Lutyens, Mary (2003) [Originally published 1990. London: John Murray]. The Life and Death of Krishnamurti. Bramdean: Krishnamurti Foundation Trust. p. 92. ISBN 0-900506-22-9.
- "The First and Last Freedom" (Chapters 2–21) – J. Krishnamurti Online [JKO]. Web document serial no/id: JKO 306. Krishnamurti Foundations. "J. Krishnamurti Online, the official repository of the authentic teachings of Jiddu Krishnamurti." Retrieved 2011-03-06.
|This article about a philosophy-related book is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|