The Flintstones: On the Rocks
|The Flintstones: On the Rocks|
|Distributed by||Warner Bros. Television|
|Directed by||Chris Savino
|Produced by||William Hanna
|Written by||Cindy Morrow
Kevin Michael Richardson
|Music by||Hoyt Curtain
Cartoon Network Studios
|Original channel||Cartoon Network|
|Release date||November 3, 2001|
|Running time||85 minutes|
|Preceded by||A Flintstones Christmas Carol (1994)|
The Flintstones: On the Rocks is a made for television animated movie based on the television series The Flintstones; it aired November 3, 2001, on Cartoon Network in the United States. In format, the movie was intended to emulate the first season of the series, which was distinctly more mature and aimed at older audiences than the later seasons, and therefore chose to focus more on the relationships between the original core cast of Fred, Barney, Wilma, and Betty. It was directed by Chris Savino and David Smith and was dedicated in memory of Hanna-Barbera founder and creator William Hanna. Since this film has not been released on either VHS, DVD or Blu-ray, it has attained something of a cult following among Hanna-Barbera fans.
Fred and Wilma's marriage is in serious jeopardy. After years of Wilma putting up with her husband's lazy, self-centered loitering, she hopes that a second honeymoon in Rockapulco (a gift from the equally concerned Rubbles) will finally restore the passion in the relationship; Fred, in the meantime, looks at the idea as another excuse for a personal vacation and takes it for granted. Meanwhile, a professional thief succeeds in acquiring a rare diamond, but he loses possession of it when his handbag ends up getting switched with Wilma's handbag, forcing the thief to woo the frustrated Mrs. Flintstone in an effort to reclaim the diamond, which follows up to leading a worried Fred to reevaluate his own conduct and feelings towards Wilma before he "loses her" for good. The two eventually discover the thief's true purpose and reunite to save the day and restore their love.
Trivia & Production notes 
- This TV film has aired in Japan on January 3, 2002.
- The TV film features a memorable dream sequence for Fred that sees the visuals change from standard cel animation to a sophisticated puppet-motion sequence, provided by Screen Novelties.
- This production is the last Flintstones-related project for both William Hanna (who died in 2001) and Joseph Barbera (who died in 2006). It was also the last animation project of any sort Hanna produced prior to his death. No Flintstones projects were produced after this special until 2011, when it was announced that Seth MacFarlane would be producing a Flintstones "reboot" for air in 2013.
- Jeff Bergman would reprise his role as Fred Flintstone in two episodes of Seth MacFarlane's Cavalcade of Cartoon Comedy.
- Yabba-dabba-doo! Seth McFarlane finally gets go-ahead to reboot The Flintstones. Deadline Hollywood Daily. Retrieved 2011-05-17.
- Screen Novelties: The Flintstones: On the Rocks
- The Flintstones: On the Rocks at the Internet Movie Database
- The Flintstones: On the Rocks at the Big Cartoon DataBase