The Flood (Take That song)
|Single by Take That|
|from the album Progress|
|Released||15 October 2010|
|Format||CD single, digital download|
|Recorded||Sarm West Studios
(London, United Kingdom)
Electric Lady Studios
(New York City, United States)
Abbey Road Studios
|Length||4.51 (album version)
4:14 (UK radio edit)
|Take That singles chronology|
"The Flood" is a song by British pop group Take That from their sixth studio album, Progress. It was released as the lead single in the United Kingdom on 7 November 2010. The song is the first to feature Robbie Williams since his return to the band in July 2010, and features Gary Barlow and Williams on lead vocals.
The video features the five members of the band racing against another crew in specially-made five-seater Sculling boats. The band's boat is named "Progress" after the record breaking number 1 album, whilst the band wear old-fashioned white rowing kits, bearing a custom-designed Take That crest. The group is shown to be competing in a race against a younger crew and although losing the race, the group continue going past the finish line and are shown to row down the River Thames past famous London landmarks before fading away into a stormy sea. The video for the single was filmed on Dorney Lake in Buckinghamshire, which played host to the rowing events at the 2012 Olympics.
The single gained rave reviews across the media and social network sites since its first play at BBC Radio 1 with social network users and fans commenting on the single as "incredible". On the documentary Look Back, Don't Stare Elton John listens to an early demo of the song with the band and comments "Brilliant, do you know how big this is gonna be?"
Digital Spy awarded the single 4 stars commenting that the single "reveals itself to be a genuinely epic pop belter" whilst The News of The World gave the song 5 stars by saying the single is "already hailed as a classic to rival Back for Good" and with "a mammoth anthem, it'll sound even better when [Take That] belt it out in concert". The Telegraph again praised the single stating "The Flood is a stirring us-against-the-world pop anthem that blends the best of Williams’ rabble rousing instincts with Gary Barlow’s smooth songwriting." Orange agreed with this view, stating that "when it comes to perfect pop, they're still the masters of their game".
The song was placed on the Radio 1 A Playlist for a number of weeks after its first play on radio in early October. The band appeared on X Factor result show 6 to perform "The Flood" live for the first time on 14 November, it was also the first time they had performed as a five piece in 15 years. They also performed it on Children in Need and closed the show with number 1 single "Never Forget". They then sang "The Flood" on X Factor Italy on 23 November, as well as on The Voice of Holland on 27 November. Following that was Skavlan. Then they performed it on Benissimo on 1 December. Next up was the Late Late Show on 10 December and then they performed it live on Wetten Dass in Germany. They also performed "The Flood" on Strictly Come Dancing and Dance avec les stars. Then the sang it on the X Factor final on December 12, where they also sang their number 1 hit single "Never Forget" with the final three contestants. They closed the Royal Variety Performance with "The Flood", with their backing dancers representing the progress of man.
The single achieved commercial success in the UK and across Europe upon release, charting in more than 20 countries to date.
"The Flood" first debuted in Denmark at number 7 on 22 October 2010 before moving up to 4. It remained in the Danish Singles Chart for a total of 20 weeks and was certified Gold by the IFPI. The track debuted in the Top 10 in Ireland on the Irish Singles Chart dated 11 November 2010, at number 8, but later rose to number 3 whilst also spending 15 weeks in the Irish Top 50. On 14 November 2010, the single debuted at number 2 on the UK Singles Chart with sales of 69,484 copies, and remained there the week after selling 89,917. The track has sold over 500,000 copies to date and has spent a total of 8 weeks in the top ten and 20 weeks to date on the UK Singles charts. The song peaked at number 6 in Switzerland and remained in the charts for 21 weeks, also peaking at number 14 in Austria where it spent 19 weeks in the Austrian Singles Chart. The single became the bands 16th top 40 single in Germany where it peaked at number 12 and spent 25 weeks within the German Charts and in Norway the band continued their consecutive hits with The Flood peaking inside the top 5 at number 3. In the Netherlands the single peaked at number 4 and has to date spent 16 weeks within the charts, whilst the single peaked at number 2 in Italy where it was certified Gold by the FIMI.
- UK CD single
- "The Flood" – 4:51
- "The Flood" (Instrumental) – 4:51
- UK DVD single
- "The Flood" (Video) – 5:00
- "The Flood" (Behind the Scenes) – 2:30
- UK promo single
- "The Flood" (Radio Edit) - 3:54
- "The Flood" (Instrumental) - 4:51
- German CD single / UK iTunes package
- "The Flood" - 4:51
- "The Flood" (Video) - 5:00
Charts and certifications
Radio dates and release history
Radio add dates
- Pyatt, Jamie (2010-07-21). "The Sun 2010-21-07. Retrieved 21 July 2010". Thesun.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- Wednesday, 21 July 2010, 06:45 BST (2010-07-21). "Digital Spy 2010-21-07. Retrieved 21 July 2010". Digitalspy.co.uk. Retrieved 2010-10-31.
- http://www.metro.co.uk/music/843437-take-thats-new-song-the-flood-gets-rave-reviews-on-twitter The Metro 8-10-10
- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVwcl1E_PDs 5:50-6:15
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/singlesreviews/a286177/take-that-the-flood.html Nick Levine Digital Spy 08-11-10
- http://www.newsoftheworld.co.uk/notw/public/reviews/home/ notw 07-11-10
- http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/music/rockandpopreviews/8113407/Take-That-The-Flood-review.html Neil McCormack The Telegraph 07-11-10
- http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/music/news/a376854/adele-florence-take-that-ivor-novello-2012-nominations-in-full.html Digital Spy 17 April 2012
- http://www.danishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Take+That&titel=The+Flood&cat=s Hung Meiden Danish Archive.
- http://archive.is/20120907035324/http://www.chartstats.com/release.php?release=49666 Chart Stats, The Flood Take That.
- http://musicline.de/de/chartverfolgung_summary/artist/Take+That/24880/?type=single German single archive Take That
- http://www.danishcharts.com/showitem.asp?interpret=Take+That&titel=The+Flood&cat=s Hung Medien Chart Archive, (see charts and certifications for source of Italian gold certificiation)
- "Take That – The Flood – Austriancharts.at" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Take That – The Flood" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Ultratop.be – Take That – The Flood" (in French). Ultratop 50.
- http://hrt.hr/fileadmin/video/ARC100_izvjestajza2011.xls HRT Croatian Airplay Chart - The Flood.publisher=Croatian Radiotelevision Search at number 75 and see Peak.
- "ČNS IFPI" (in Czech). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiální. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201048 into search.
- "Danishcharts.com – Take That – The Flood". Tracklisten.
- "Chart Search Results - Euro Digital Songs 2010-12-04". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "Chart Search Results - European Hot 100 Singles 2010-11-27". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- http://www.ifpi.fi/tilastot/virallinen-lista/ovi-musiikki/2010/51 Musiikkituottajat. Take That - The Flood
- "Lescharts.com – Take That – The Flood" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Die ganze Musik im Internet: Charts, News, Neuerscheinungen, Tickets, Genres, Genresuche, Genrelexikon, Künstler-Suche, Musik-Suche, Track-Suche, Ticket-Suche – musicline.de" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- http://www.musicchartheaven.com/ttrobbiegary/ttprogress.htm The Flood - Number 1 hit archive, Music Chart Heaven IFPI Hong Kong Archive.
- http://www.mahasz.hu/?menu=slagerlistak&menu2=archivum Mahasz.
- http://www.musicchartheaven.com/ttrobbiegary/ttprogress.htm The Flood - Number 1 hit archive, Music Chart Heaven Asosiasi Industri Rekaman Indonesia - Indonesian Archive.
- "Chart Track". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Italiancharts.com – Take That – The Flood". Top Digital Download.
- "Dutchcharts.nl – Take That – The Flood" (in Dutch). Mega Single Top 100.
- "Norwegiancharts.com – Take That – The Flood". VG-lista.
- http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/charts/chart-search-results/singles/3141645 Portugal Digital Songs 2011-01-01 Billboard Archive
- Take That – Shine Retrieved on 2011-09-30.
- "Archive Chart". Scottish Singles Top 40.
- "SNS IFPI" (in Slovak). Hitparáda – Radio Top100 Oficiálna. IFPI Czech Republic. Note: insert 201048 into search.
- "Spanishcharts.com – Take That – The Flood" Canciones Top 50.
- "Promusicae (Week: January 1, 2010)". Retrieved 13 July 2010.
- "Sverigetopplistan (Week: 2010-12-18)". Retrieved 1 October 2012.
- "Take That – The Flood – swisscharts.com". Swiss Singles Chart.
- Take That – The Flood Retrieved on 2011-09-30.
- "Archive Chart" UK Singles Chart.
- http://hrt.hr/fileadmin/video/ARC100_izvjestajza2011.xls HRT Croatian Year End Chart.
- "British single certifications – Take That – Patience". British Phonographic Industry. Enter Patience in the field Search. Select Title in the field Search by. Select single in the field By Format. Click Go
- "Danish single certifications – Take That – The Flood". IFPI Denmark.
- "Italian single certifications – Take That – The Flood" (in Italian). Federation of the Italian Music Industry. Select Online in the field Scegli la sezione. Select Week -- and Year ----. Enter Take That in the field Artista. Click Avvia la ricerca
- "Take That Debut New Single The Flood | Take That". MTV UK. 8 October 2010. Retrieved 20 November 2010.
- "The Flood - Single by Take That - Download The Flood - Single on iTunes". iTunes Store. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "The Flood (2-Track): Take That: Amazon.de: Musik". Amazon.de. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "Pre-order The Flood now - Take That Official Site". Takethat.com. 11 October 2010. Retrieved 31 October 2010.
- "The Flood: Take That: Amazon.co.uk: Music". Amazon.co.uk. Retrieved 31 October 2010.