The Forms (band)
|Origin||Queens, New York, USA|
|Genres||Indie rock, Math Rock|
The Forms are an American indie rock band from Queens, New York, whose style incorporates aspects of math rock, dream pop, and emo. The band members include Alex Tween (vox, keyboards) and Matt Walsh (drums, sequencers).
The Forms released their debut album, Icarus, in 2003. The album was recorded with legendary producer Steve Albini (Nirvana, Pixies, P. J. Harvey) at the helm. They worked with Albini again on their latest (self-titled) album, which was released in October 2007.
The band has shared the stage with bands like The National, The Hold Steady, St. Vincent, Ok Go, Deerhunter, Minus the Bear, Ted Leo, and Nick Cave.
At the time of the debut release, reviews were generally very positive, and critics compared the band favorably to early-emo rock group Sunny Day Real Estate. Mac Randall of The New York Observer described the band as "aggro-artsy trio fond of awkward time signatures, sly rhythmic manipulation, curlicuing vocal lines, and giving one song two separate track numbers for no obvious reason... [T]hese guys make a virtue out of attention-deficit disorder." PopMatters called the band "one of the most exciting, if not one of the best, new acts in indie rock right now."
- "We Didn't Start the Fire" from the Guilt by Association Vol. 2 compilation
- Terlesky, John (February 6, 2003). "Brooklyn-based Forms adds new content to emo-rock", The Morning Call, p. E14.
- Machosky, Michael (June 27, 2003). "Taking Forms", Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. Retrieved on 2009-07-05.
- Moerder, Adam (December 10, 2007). "The Forms: The Forms", Pitchfork Media. Retrieved on 2009-07-05.
- Matthew Solarski (19 November 2008). "My Brightest Diamond, Frightened Rabbit Do Covers". Pitchfork Media. Retrieved 2009-06-11.
- Proskocil, Niz (January 15, 2004). "Heavenly success for the Forms", Omaha World-Herald, p. GO10.
- Randall, Mac (March 17, 2003). "My Two Cents on 50 Cent, Lovett, Massive Attack, Other 'Pokey' CD's", The New York Observer, p. 19.
- Jagernauth, Kevin (October 17, 2003). "The Forms: Icarus", PopMatters. Retrieved on 2009-07-05.
- www.MySpace.com/theForms: The official MySpace page of The Forms.