The Fremantle Society
|The Fremantle Society|
|Motto||For Fremantle people and places|
|Formation||January 1, 1972|
|Legal status||Association (ASIC registration number: WA A0750162N)|
|Headquarters||Victoria Hall 179 High St, Fremantle WA 6160|
|Region served||Fremantle, Western Australia|
The Fremantle Society is a community-based culture and heritage advocacy group in Fremantle, Western Australia. It was formed in 1972 to work to prevent what was seen as undesirable demolition and/or development of historic buildings in Fremantle. As the significance of Fremantle's built heritage came to be more widely recognised and respected (by the City, and property owners), the focus of the Fremantle Society has evolved to include more of the cultural heritage of the area.
The overall nature of the societies work is ongoing due to the inherent pressures from developers and others 
Fighting for Fremantle, a history of the Society by Ron and Dianne Davidson, was published by Fremantle Press in 2010. It was launched by the Premier of Western Australia, Colin Barnett, in Victoria Hall.
The Society has led campaigns to prevent the loss of many significant buildings in Fremantle; not all have been successful. Some examples include:
- The Oriana Cinema, an art deco building on the corner of High and Queen Streets (demolished in 1972).
- Fremantle Markets.
- The proposed widening of High Street and demolition of all buildings along the south side of the road.
- Fremantle Prison.
- Fremantle Hospital.
- Victoria Quay developments, including the ING development.
- Davidson, Ron; Dianne Davidson (2010). Fighting for Fremantle: a history of The Fremantle Society. Fremantle Press.
- Gore, Stuart; Reece, Rob (1982), [Interview with Stuart Gore], retrieved 14 May 2013
- Fremantle Society; Interiors Project, 1992 (1995), Interiors Project, 1992. Drawing record -- A3 collection : a photographic archive of Fremantle West End interiors, The Society, retrieved 14 May 2013
- The Fremantle Society Inc (1978), The future Fremantle : a discussion document by the Fremantle Society on planning, for the future of Fremantle (1st ed ed.), The Fremantle Society Inc, retrieved 14 May 2013
- Dawkins, Jeremy; MacGill, Gerry (June 1990), "The politics of planning in Fremantle", Urban Policy and Research 8 (2): 81–85, ISSN 0811-1146
|This Fremantle-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an organisation in Australia is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|