The Frozen Ground
|The Frozen Ground|
Poster for The Frozen Ground
|Directed by||Scott Walker|
|Produced by||50 Cent
|Written by||Scott Walker|
|Music by||Lorne Balfe|
|Studio||Grindstone Entertainment Group
|Running time||105 minutes|
The Frozen Ground is a 2013 American thriller film written and directed by Scott Walker, his first feature film, based on the real-life 1980s Alaskan hunt for serial killer Robert Hansen. Hansen stalked and murdered between 17 and 21 young women, kidnapping them and taking them out to the Alaskan wilderness where he shot and buried them. The film stars Nicolas Cage, John Cusack, Vanessa Hudgens, Katherine LaNasa, Radha Mitchell and 50 Cent. The film was released in theaters and on demand on August 23, 2013.
The Frozen Ground is based on the true story of Alaskan detective Glenn Flothe (called Sgt. Jack Halcombe in the film). Halcombe sets out to end the murderous rampage of Robert Hansen, a serial killer who has silently stalked the streets of Anchorage for more than 13 years. As the bodies of Anchorage women start to add up, Halcombe goes on a personal manhunt to find the killer. When 17-year-old Cindy Paulson escapes Hansen's unspeakable violence, she believes the law will take him down. Instead she finds herself, once again, fighting for her life. With Paulson as his only ally, Halcombe is determined to bring the serial killer to justice.
- Nicolas Cage – Jack Halcombe
- John Cusack – Robert Hansen
- Vanessa Hudgens – Cindy Paulson
- 50 Cent – Pimp Clate Johnson
- Radha Mitchell – Allie Halcombe
- Jodi Lyn O'Keefe – Chelle Ringell
- Dean Norris – Sgt. Lyle Haugsven
- Katherine LaNasa – Fran Hansen
- Matt Gerald – Ed Stauber
- Robert Forgit – Sgt. Wayne Von Clasen
- Ryan O'Nan – Gregg Baker
- Kurt Fuller – D.A. Pat Clives
- Kevin Dunn – Lt. Bob Jent
- Mark Smith – Head of Security
- Gia Mantegna – Debbie Peters
- Michael McGrady – Vice Det. John Gentile
- Brad William Henke – Carl Galenski
- Bostin Christopher – Al
- Taylor Tracy – Sandy Halcombe
- Ron Holmstrom – Attorney Mike Rule
The movie has received mixed reviews from critics. It currently holds a 59% rating on review site Rotten Tomatoes, based on 49 reviews, with a weighted average of 5.1/10. The site's consensus reads: "Though this by-the-numbers true procedural seems basic, The Frozen Ground presents a welcome return for Nicolas Cage in a solid performance". Metacritic assigns the film an average score of 37 out of 100 based on 16 reviews from mainstream critics, indicating "generally unfavorable reviews".
- "Lorne Balfe to Score ‘The Frozen Ground’'".
- "THE FROZEN GROUND (15)". British Board of Film Classification. 2013-05-24. Retrieved 2013-05-27.
- Dima Alzayat (October 20, 2011). "On Location: 'The Frozen Ground' heats up filming in Alaska". Los Angeles Times.
- "The Frozen Ground". Rotten Tomatoes. Flixster. Retrieved 4 October 2013.
- "The Frozen Ground". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved 4 October 2013.