The Future Fire
The Future Fire is a small press, online science fiction magazine (ISSN: 1746-1839), run by a joint British-US team of editors. The magazine was launched in January 2005 and releases issues four times a year, with stories, articles, and reviews in both HTML and PDF formats. At times (notably 2006-7, 2010-11) issues appeared more sporadically than this.
The Future fire publishes both fiction and nonfiction. For fiction it publishes Speculative Fiction, Cyberpunk and Dark Fantasy, with a focus on social and political themes and Mundane rather than hard SF. In the area of nonfiction it publishes reviews and interviews with people such as Cory Doctorow, author of Down and Out in the Magic Kingdom, and Kevin Warwick the Cyborg scientist, articles on new media, posthumanism, and artificial intelligence. In 2010 The Future Fire published themed issues on Feminist science fiction and Queer science fiction.
The Future Fire has published stories by:
- Neil Ayres
- Rebecca Buchanan
- Terry Grimwood
- Vylar Kaftan
- Sandra McDonald
- Steven Pirie
- Sofia Samatar
- Brett Alexander Savory
- Benjanun Sriduangkaew
- Richard Thieme
- Lavie Tidhar
- Lynda Williams
The Future Fire has run occasional writers' conventions and competitions, including a flash fiction contest sponsored by the MirrorMask movie, and a satirical writing contest based on spam subject lines judged by Peter Tennant.
The Future Fire has published two anthologies (under the imprint Futurefire.net Publications): Outlaw Bodies, co-edited by Lori Selke (ISBN 978-0-9573975-0-7), in 2012, a collection of stories on the theme of forbidden or constrained bodies, disability, feminism and trans issues; and We See a Different Frontier, co-edited with Fabio Fernandes (ISBN 978-0-9573975-2-1) in 2013, with preface by Aliette de Bodard and critical afterward by Ekaterina Sedia, which raised over $4,500 in crowdfunding via Peerbackers. A third anthology, Accessing the Future, co-edited by Kathryn Allan, raised over $8,000 via IndieGogo and is in production.
- See Whispers of Wickedness review, 'delivering solid, if irregular, packages of fiction'; SF Encyclopaedia entry: 'resumed publication in February 2012 after an eighteen-month hiatus'.
- see the 'Flashes of Darkness' and 'Nudge Nudge Wink Wink' competition details at 
- See e.g. reviews at Strange Horizons http://www.strangehorizons.com/reviews/2012/11/outlaw_bodies_e.shtml and New York Journal of Books http://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/review/outlaw-bodies
- See http://peerbackers.com/projects/we-see-a-different-frontier/; contents at http://djibrilalayad.blogspot.co.uk/p/we-see-different-frontier.html
- Original site
- Entry in Encyclopaedia of Science Fiction
- Review of Future Fire 8 in Whispers of Wickedness (site down: Wayback Machine version)
- Interview with TFF editor in MBR:Points (site down)
- Review of Future Fire 20
- Spotlight on The Future Fire by The Outer Alliance
- Interview with TFF editor in Duotrope's Digest.
- Interview with editor in The Apprentice Storyteller