The Gambia–Philippines relations
From June 20 to 24 2005, Gambian President Yahya Jammeh, made a state visit to the Philippines and had bilateral talks with the Philippine President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo. President Jammeh expressed support and advocated for the Philippines bid to the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation (OIC). The Gambian president also proposed to Arroyo a joint oil exploration following the recent discovery of oil in his country. Jammeh offered one block out of the five oil deposits in the Gambia to the Philippines to be developed in the proposed joint oil exploration. The Philippines agreed to conduct a joint oil exploration with the Gambia. The agreement was said to be the fruits of the New Asian–African Strategic Partnership signed by both countries in Jakarta. The Philippine National Oil Company subsequently said that the first 5 blocks offered did not show much potential, but that they were interested in the sixth block.
The Gambia also wanted to reciprocate the Philippines previous aid to the Gambia in 1966. Filipino agriculture expert, Professor Brooke, introduced the "Philippine Pink" peanut variety in 1966. The peanut variety is the top export product of the Gambia.
The two countries has signed agreements on scientific and technical cooperation in 1996 and on cooperation in health and medicine in 1999.
Ambassadors and consulates
- "Office of The Gambian President: State House Online: Yahya A.J.J. Jammeh: PRESIDENT JAMMEH VISITS THE PHILIPPINES". Statehouse.gm. 2005-06-24. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "Gambia to support Philippines' bid for observer status at OIC.". The Daily Tribune. 21 June 2005. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "Gambia, Philippines make oil exploration deal". Panapress.com. 2005-06-25. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "LISTSERV 16.0 - GAMBIA-L Archives". Listserv.icors.org. 2005-04-16. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- "RP eyes Gambia oil/gas exploration". Manila Bulletin. 10 September 2005. Archived from the original on 10 September 2005. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- Villanueva, Marichu (2005-06-23). "Pinoy farmers’ peanuts link RP and Gambia | Headlines, News, The Philippine Star". philstar.com. Retrieved 2013-08-12.
- Fadera, Hatab (1 December 2010). "Gambia: Eight More Ambassadors Present Letters of Credence". Daily Observer. Retrieved 15 August 2013.
- "The Gambia marks 42 years of freedom". Philippine Daily Inquirer. 18 February 2007. p. 5. Retrieved 15 August 2013.