The Gap Band III
|Gap Band III|
|Studio album by The Gap Band|
|Recorded||1980 at Total Experience Recording Studios, Hollywood, California|
|The Gap Band chronology|
The Gap Band III is an album by The Gap Band, released in 1980 on Mercury Records. Contrary to the title, the album is actually the Gap Band's fifth album. The album was remastered by PTG Records in 2009 including radio version of "Burn Rubber On Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)".
The album reached #1 on the Black Albums chart and #16 on the Billboard Hot 200. The album yielded 3 charting singles: the #60 R&B song "Humpin'", "Yearning for Your Love", a #5 R&B single which peaked at #60 on the Billboard Hot 100, and the #1 R&B hit "Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)", which reached #19 on the dance charts and #84 on the Hot 100.
Although they had been signed to Total Experience Records since 1977, their first three albums were released by Mercury Records. This was the last new studio album Lonnie Simmons had them handle. The Gap Band's next six albums were released directly by Total Experience Records.
|1.||When I Look in Your Eyes||Lonnie Simmons/Rudy Taylor/Wilmer Raglin||4:59|
|2.||Yearning for Your Love||Oliver Scott/Ronnie Wilson||5:42|
|3.||Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)||Charlie Wilson/Lonnie Simmons/Rudy Taylor||5:30|
|4.||Nothin' Comes to Sleepers||Oliver Scott/Ronnie Wilson||5:33|
|5.||Are You Living||Charlie Wilson/John Black||4:23|
|6.||Sweet Caroline||Charlie Wilson/Malvin Vice||3:20|
|7.||Humpin'||Charlie Wilson/Lonnie Simmons/Ronnie Wilson/Rudy Taylor||5:13|
|8.||The Way||Oliver Scott/Ronnie Wilson||4:47|
|9.||Gash Gash Gash||Robert Wilson||5:18|
|10.||Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) [Radio Version]||Charlie Wilson/Lonnie Simmons/Rudy Taylor||4:09|
- Charlie Wilson - Keyboards, Synthesizer, Percussion, Lead and Backing Vocals
- Ronnie Wilson - Trumpet, Keyboards, Backing Vocals
- Robert Wilson - Bass, Backing Vocals
- Oliver Scott - Horns, Keyboards, Synthesizer, Backing Vocals
- Raymond Calhoun - Drums, Percussion, Backing Vocals
- Melvin Webb, Ronnie Kaufman - Drums
- John Black - Keyboards, Backing Vocals
- Malvin Dino Vice - String Arrangements, Backing Vocals
- Calvin Yarbrough - Synthesizer
- Robert "Goodie" Whitfield - Keyboards
- Fred Jenkins - Guitar
- Glen Nightingale - Guitar
- Marlo Henderson - Guitar
- Wilmer Raglin- Horns, Backing Vocals
- Earl Roberson - Horns
- Katie Kilpatrick - Harp
- The Gap Band, Howard Huntsberry, Jonah Ellis, Marva King, Maxanne Lewis, Rudy Taylor, Val Young, Lonnie Simmons, Malvin "Dino" Vice - Backing Vocals
|Billboard Pop Albums||16|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||1|
|1981||"Burn Rubber (Why You Wanna Hurt Me)"||84||1||19|
|"Yearning for Your Love"||60||5||-|
- Henderson, Alex. The Gap Band: The Gap Band III > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 11 September 2011.
- Album Charts and Awards at Allmusic
- Singles Charts and Awards at Allmusic
- "The Gap Band US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-11.
- "The Gap Band US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-09-11.