The Garment Jungle
|The Garment Jungle|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Vincent Sherman
|Produced by||Harry Kleiner|
|Screenplay by||Harry Kleiner|
|Based on||articles "Gangsters in the Dress Business"
by Lester Velie
|Starring||Lee J. Cobb
|Music by||Leith Stevens|
|Cinematography||Joseph F. Biroc|
|Edited by||William Lyon|
|Distributed by||Columbia Pictures|
|Release date(s)||April 25, 1957|
|Running time||88 minutes|
The Garment Jungle is a 1957 American crime film noir directed by Vincent Sherman and Robert Aldrich and written by Lester Velie and Harry Kleiner. The drama features Gia Scala, Lee J. Cobb, Kerwin Mathews and Richard Boone.
Alan Mitchell is a returning Korean War veteran who joins his father Walter's garment company, Roxton Fashions. The firm has been paying protection money to gangsters led by Artie Ravidge to keep the union out.
Walter's partner, Fred Kenner, sympathizes with the union's goals. After he tells Walter to sever his ties with the hoodlum enforcers, Kenner is killed when the freight elevator he enters, which was just 'fixed' by one of the hoods disguised as a repairman, plunges 12 stories to the bottom of the shaft. Tulio Renata is a union organizer trying to organize the factory who also later gets murdered by Ravidge's men, and his wife Theresa Renata endures threats against her and their child.
Alan Mitchell comes to sympathize with the plight of the workers. When he finally convinces his father to fire the union busting gangsters, Walter is killed and Ravidge attempts to take over the factory. Theresa Renata takes copies of Mitchell's records to the police, who arrest Ravidge.
- Lee J. Cobb as Walter Mitchell
- Kerwin Mathews as Alan Mitchell
- Gia Scala as Theresa Renata
- Richard Boone as Artie Ravidge
- Valerie French as Lee Hackett
- Robert Loggia as Tulio Renata
- Joseph Wiseman as George Kovan
- Harold J. Stone as Tony
- Adam Williams as Ox
- Wesley Addy as Mr Paul
- Willis Bouchey as Dave Bronson
- Robert Ellenstein as Fred Kenner
- Celia Lovsky as Tulio's mother
- Marilyn Hanold as the model
- Jon Shepodd as Alredi
Vincent Sherman replaced Aldrich towards the end of filming.
- The Garment Jungle at the Internet Movie Database
- The Garment Jungle at AllMovie
- The Garment Jungle at the TCM Movie Database
- The Garment Jungle film trailer on YouTube