The Geographer Drank His Globe Away (film)
|The Geographer Drank His Globe Away|
|Directed by||Alexander Veledinsky|
|Produced by||Vadim Goryainov, Leonid Lebedev, Valery Todorovsky|
|Written by||Alexander Veledinsky, Rauf Kubayev, Valery Todorovsky|
|Starring||Konstantin Khabensky, Elena Lyadova, Anna Ukolova, Evgenia Khirivskaya|
|Music by||Alexei Zubarev|
|Edited by||Alexander Veledinsky, Tatyana Prilenskaya|
|Distributed by||Krasnaya strela (Red Arrow)|
|Running time||120 minutes|
|Budget||80 million rubles|
The Geographer Drank His Globe Away (Russian: Географ глобус пропил "Geograf globus propil") is a Russian drama film made in 2013, directed by Alexander Veledinsky, based on the novel of the same name by Alexei Ivanov. The action of the film, as opposed to the novel, has been transferred from the "dashing nineties" to the present day. The film participated in the XXIV Open Russian Film Festival "Kinotavr" in Sochi and was awarded the main prize. It will be released in the autumn of 2013.
||This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (July 2013)|
The main character, a biologist named Victor Sluzhkin, loses his job and, to make ends meet, is forced to take a job in a local school as a geography teacher. The family has little money and lives in a dilapidated apartment in an old Soviet era building. His best friend is having an affair with his wife. The students in his class do not respect him and the assistant principal does not like his teaching methods. He feels lonely and depressed. To deal with the stresses of life, he drinks a lot. His alcohol-fueled binges provide a temporary respite, but no lasting comfort. When he organizes a trip on the river with a group of students from his class, it turns into a journey of self-discovery both for him and for the young men and women from his class.
- Konstantin Khabensky – Victor Sergeyevich Sluzhkin, geography teacher
- Elena Lyadova – Nadya, his wife
- Anna Ukolova – Vetka
- Evgenia Khirivskaya – Kira
- Alexander Robak – Budkin
- Agrippina Steklova – Roza Borisovna, assistant headmaster
- Victor Uzun – headmaster
- Anfisa Chernykh – Masha Bolshakova
- Andrei Prytkov – Gradusov
- Ilya Ilyinykh – Ovechkin
- Mikhail Leontiev – Barmin
- Artyom Ostanin –
- Anastasia Zolotko –
- Director – Alexander Veledinsky
- Screenplay – Alexander Veledinsky, Rauf Kubayev, Valery Todorovsky
- Cinematography – Vladimir Bashta
- Production Designer – Vladimir Gudilin
- Composer – Alexei Zubarev
- Costume designer – Lyudmila Gayintseva
- Makeup – Irina Melnikova
- Sound Engineers – Sergey Kurbatov, Oleg Tatarinov
- Editing – Alexander Veledinsky, Tatyana Prilenskaya
- Second director – Irina Tretyakova
- Casting assistant – Tatyana Talkova
- Producers – Vadim Goryayinov, Leonid Lebedev, Valery Todorovsky
- XXIV Open Russian Film Festival "Kinotavr" in Sochi – Main prize
- Award for Best Actor – Konstantin Khabensky
- Mikael Tariverdiev prize for best film music – Alexis Zubarev
- Film distributors jury prize
Shooting of the film took place in 2011–2012, in Perm, Zakamsk, Lower Kuria district and Usva, Gremyachinsk district. The film shows the river Usva, down which the characters sail, and the Usva rock pillars. Stunts were performed on the Revun rapids of the river Iset in the Sverdlovsk region.
The music for the film was written by the guitarist of the "Aquarium" group, Alexei Zubarev. In addition, the film features a variety of songs – from classical to chanson. The film's trailer is accompanied by the song "I'm Free" by the "Kipelov" group. The same song is heard in the film, performed not by Kipelov but by one of the characters.
The film was shot over two years; there were 34 days of shooting, two expeditions and a planned five-month break. For the filming of the trip down the river it was necessary to wait for high water, which happens for only two weeks every May – the rest of the year the river is shallow. Winter scenes were shot in November 2011 and then there was a break until April to shoot scenes inside the school, when Spring was "looking in" through the windows. Then the crew moved over 200 km away from Perm to shoot the trip down the river.
- "Алексей Иванов: "Рад, что в экранизации моей книги сыграл Хабенский"". Аргументы и факты. 2013-05-20. Archived from the original on 2013-06-04. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- ""Кинотавр" нам покажет…". Interfax-Russia.ru. 17 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "В Каннах покажут "Географ глобус пропил"". Российская газета. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- ""Кинотавр-2013". Церемония закрытия". Filmpro.ru. 2013-06-09. Archived from the original on 2013-06-10. Retrieved 2013-06-09.
- "Фильм "Географ глобус пропил" получил главный приз "Кинотавра" под крики "Браво!"". МК.ru. 2013-05-10. Archived from the original on 2013-06-11. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Песня Кипелова попала в фильм "Географ глобус пропил"". КМ.ru. 2013-05-28. Archived from the original on 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2013-06-02.
- "Александр Велединский: "Думаю, мне не будет стыдно за этот фильм"". ProfiCinema.ru. 2013-05-24. Archived from the original on 2013-06-05. Retrieved 2013-06-02.