The German Doctor
|The German Doctor|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Lucía Puenzo|
|Produced by||Lucía Puenzo|
|Written by||Lucía Puenzo|
by Lucía Puenzo
|Music by||Daniel Tarrab
|Edited by||Hugo Primero|
|Distributed by||Distribution Company
Samuel Goldwyn Films (USA)
|Running time||94 minutes|
The German Doctor (Spanish: Wakolda) is a 2013 Argentine historical drama film directed, produced and written by Lucía Puenzo. Based on Puenzo's novel Wakolda (2011), the film stars Àlex Brendemühl as the Nazi war criminal Josef Mengele, infamous for performing human experiments in the Auschwitz concentration camp. It also stars Florencia Bado, Natalia Oreiro, Diego Peretti, Elena Roger and Guillermo Pfening.
Set in 1960, the film depicts Mengele during his exile in South America. Having adopted a new identity, he moves into a Patagonian hotel run by German-speaking Eva and her husband Enzo, and becomes particularly interested in their daughter Lilith. Having won the family's trust, Mengele finds a reawakened interest in human genetics research.
- Àlex Brendemühl as Josef Mengele
- Florencia Bado as Lilith
- Diego Peretti as Enzo
- Natalia Oreiro as Eva
- Elena Roger as Nora Eldoc
- Guillermo Pfening as Klaus
- Alan Daicz as Tomás
- Ana Pauls as Nurse
- Abril Braunstein as Ailín
- Juani Martínez as Otto
It was screened in the Un Certain Regard section at the 2013 Cannes Film Festival. The film was selected as the Argentine entry for the Best Foreign Language Film at the 86th Academy Awards, but it was not nominated.
The film received positive reviews from critics. It currently holds a 73% rating on the review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes based on 59 reviews, with an average score of 5.7/10. The site's consensus reads, "The German Doctor applies a refreshing level of restraint to its intriguing premise, and boasts solid performances from a talented cast."
Awards and nominations
|66th Cannes Film Festival||Un Certain Regard||Nominated|
|Saint Petersburg International Film Festival||Audience Prize||Won|
|2nd Unasur Cine International Film Festival||Best New Actress||Won|
|Best Feature Film||Won|
|San Sebastián International Film Festival||Horizontes||Nominated|
|Films from the South Festival||Best Feature||Nominated|
|35th International Festival of New Latin American Cinema||Best Director||Won|
|Special Jury Award||Won|
- List of submissions to the 86th Academy Awards for Best Foreign Language Film
- List of Argentine submissions for the Academy Award for Best Foreign Language Film
- Debruge, Peter. "Cannes Film Review: ‘Wakolda’". Variety. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- ""Wakolda", the film about Mengele in Argentina, chosen as Oscar precandidate". Yahoo! News Spain (in Spanish). 27 September 2013. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Cast". Wakolda official website. Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "2013 Official Selection". Cannes. 15 May 2013. Retrieved 15 May 2013.
- "Oscars: Argentina Nominates 'Wakolda' for Foreign Language Oscar". Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 2013-09-28.
- "Argentina Chooses ‘German Doctor’ (aka ‘Wakolda’) for Oscar Race". Variety. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Argentina Calls On ‘The German Doctor’ As Foreign Language Oscar Entry". Deadline. Retrieved 2013-09-29.
- "Unasur Cine 2013 winners" (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 September 2013.
- "Premios Corales-35 Festival" (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 September 2013.