The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (TV series)
|The Ghost and Mrs. Muir|
Edward Mulhare and Hope Lange, 1968.
|Theme music composer||Dave Grusin|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of seasons||2|
|No. of episodes||50 (List of episodes)|
|Executive producer(s)||David Gerber|
|Running time||24 min.|
|Original channel||NBC (1st season)
ABC (2nd season)
|Original run||September 28, 1968– March 13, 1970|
|Related shows||The Ghost and Mrs. Muir (1947 film)|
The Ghost & Mrs. Muir is an American situation comedy based on the 1947 film of the same name, which was based on the 1945 novel by R. A. Dick. It premiered in September 1968 on NBC. After NBC canceled the series, it aired on ABC for one season before being canceled a final time.
The series stars Hope Lange as Carolyn Muir, a young widow who rents Gull Cottage, near the fictional fishing village of Schooner Bay, Maine along with her two children, housekeeper and their dog. The cottage is haunted by the ghost of its former owner: Daniel Gregg, a 19th-century sea captain, played by Edward Mulhare.
Production and reception
The story was developed as a series for TV by Jean Holloway and filmed at the Hollywood Studios. Hope Lange won two Emmy Awards for Lead Actress in a Comedy Series for 1968–1969 and 1969–1970. Despite Lange's consecutive Emmy wins, the show struggled in the ratings and only ran for two seasons. During its first year on NBC, it followed Get Smart; its Big Three competition was My Three Sons on CBS and The Lawrence Welk Show on ABC.
In Spring 1969, NBC canceled the series. ABC picked it up and scheduled it to be shown on Thursday nights at 7:30 P.M. in September, 1969, followed by That Girl and Bewitched. The series was again unsuccessful in beating out another hit CBS series, Family Affair. As a result, ABC canceled The Ghost & Mrs. Muir in Spring 1970. Ironically, the following year Family Affair was itself canceled by CBS after a five-year run because it was in the same time slot as the NBC hit variety series The Flip Wilson Show.
- Hope Lange as Carolyn Muir, a widowed writer.
- Edward Mulhare as Captain Daniel Gregg. The captain is a poltergeist, able to affect things not only in the house but also at a distance, and can appear and disappear at will. He can only be seen and heard by the people he chooses. His bad temper can affect the weather.
- Charles Nelson Reilly as Claymore Gregg, the town clerk among many other jobs, a descendant of the captain (although the captain is often ashamed of this and claims that Claymore is not related to him), and Mrs. Muir's landlord. He is one of the few who knows of the captain's continued presence, and is usually terrified of his ancestor. Reilly made this terror of "The Captain" a running gag during his appearances on The Hollywood Squares.
- Reta Shaw as Martha Grant, the housekeeper.
- Kellie Flanagan as nine-year-old Candace 'Candy' Muir, Mrs. Muir's daughter; a tomboy with short hair.
- Harlen Carraher as Jonathan Muir, Mrs. Muir's son; at the beginning of the series, he is the only one besides Mrs. Muir who can see, hear and talk to the Captain.
- Scruffy as Scruffy, the Muirs' Wire Fox Terrier.
On April 16, 2014, Madman Entertainment will release both seasons on DVD in Region 4 (Australia ) for the very first time. In July 2014 Amazon.com started selling both seasons of the Ghost & Mrs. Muir in the United States.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Ghost & Mrs. Muir (TV series).|
- "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir: The Complete First Season". Madman Entertainment. Retrieved 15 September 2014.
- "The Ghost & Mrs. Muir: The Complete Second Season". Madman Entertainment. Retrieved 15 September 2014.