The Ghost Inside (band)
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2013)|
|The Ghost Inside|
The Ghost Inside at 2014's Warped Tour
|Also known as||A Dying Dream (2004–2006)|
|Origin||Los Angeles, California, U.S.|
|Genres||Metalcore, melodic hardcore|
As A Dying Dream, they released an EP, Now or Never on Frontline Records. A year later, they signed to Mediaskare Records, where they re-recorded and re-released the EP with an additional track and bonus live footage. Not long after, they changed their name to The Ghost Inside, and released a full length studio album entitled Fury and the Fallen Ones.
Their second album, titled Returners, was released on June 8, 2010 via Mediaskare Records.
On February 24, 2011, it was announced that KC Stockbridge and The Ghost Inside mutually parted ways and that Andrew Tkaczyk had been filling in on drums. Andrew was formerly the drummer and main songwriter in the band For the Fallen Dreams. As of January 10, 2012, the band has been signed to Epitaph Records.
In 2012, the band headlined the Alternative Press Tour along with Miss May I.
In 2013, the band toured the world with their breakthrough album, Get What You Give.
On September 8, 2014 the band released a new song - "Avalanche". And on September 16, 2014 Spotify leaked details of their new album Dear Youth.
On November 17, 2014, their second release for Epitaph Records, Dear Youth, was released and debuted at No 63. on the Billboard Top 200.
On January 9, 2015, The Ghost Inside posted on their Facebook page that they are parting ways with founding member and lead guitarist Aaron Brooks, leaving Jonathan Vigil as the last original member in the current lineup.
Musical style and songwriting
The Ghost Inside are usually classified as metalcore or melodic hardcore. They have self-identified as melodic hardcore, for example on their Facebook page. However, bassist and backing vocalist Jim Riley stated in a 2013 interview that "to [him] the band is a metalcore band" and that they're "similar to Unearth or As I Lay Dying or something like that, with a little bit less guitar solos and a little bit less singing". He said that they are influenced by "an older generation of bands" such as Throwdown, Bury Your Dead (especially Beauty and the Breakdown), Misery Signals, Killswitch Engage, Unearth (especially The Oncoming Storm) and Bleeding Through, some of which he considers "seminal to what metalcore is", as well as modern music that isn't necessarily heavy (such as pop punk), and that he himself listens "to a lot of emo".
Riley stated that when writing a song, the band usually puts the instrumentation together first, before vocalist Jonathan Vigil and guitarist Aaron Brooks write lyrics for it. He also noted that the decision to use clean vocals in some songs of Get What You Give, such as "Engine 45", came from the band and wasn't forced by producer Jeremy McKinnon.
The Ghost Inside live in 2013 at the Essigfabrik in Cologne during a co-headline European tour with Deez Nuts
- Studio albums
|Year||Album details||Peak chart positions|
|2008||Fury and the Fallen Ones
|2012||Get What You Give
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
|2005||Now or Never||Frontline|
|2006||Now or Never (reissue)||Mediaskare|
- Music videos
- "Faith or Forgiveness" (2008)
- "Unspoken" (2010)
- "Chrono" (2010)
- "Engine 45" (2012)
- "The Great Unknown" (2013)
- "Dear Youth (Day 52)" (2014)
- "Out of Control" (2015)
- "The Ghost Inside and drummer part ways". Lambgoat.com. February 24, 2011. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside signs to Epitaph Records & Announces U.S Tour". metalriot.com. January 10, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "Epitaph Records: The Ghost Inside - Get What You Give". Epitaph.com. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside "Get What You Give" Billboard Debut". FlySouthMusic.com. June 30, 2012. Retrieved May 20, 2013.
- "The Ghost Inside - "Avalanche"". YouTube. September 8, 2014. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- "The Ghost Inside". Sputnikmusic. Retrieved October 12, 2014.
- "The Ghost Inside: Getting and Giving". Loudmag.com. May 20, 2013. Retrieved 8 September 2014.
- "The Ghost Inside – Chart History: Billboard 200". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "The Ghost Inside – Chart History: Independent Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discography The Ghost Inside". australian-charts.com. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie The Ghost Inside". austriancharts.at. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discografie The Ghost Inside". ultratop.be. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie - The Ghost Inside". officialcharts.de (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved February 4, 2015.
- "Discographie The Ghost Inside". hitparade.ch. Hung Medien. Retrieved February 4, 2015.