The Girls Next Door
|The Girls Next Door|
|Also known as||The Girls of the Playboy Mansion|
|Created by||Kevin Burns
Holly Madison (2005–09)
Bridget Marquardt (2005–09)
Kendra Wilkinson (2005–09)
Crystal Harris (2009)
Kristina Shannon (2009)
Karissa Shannon (2009)
|Opening theme||"Come on-a My House" (remix)|
|Ending theme||"Come on-a My House" (remix)|
|Country of origin||United States|
|No. of episodes||91 (List of episodes)|
|Running time||22 minutes|
|Production company(s)||Fox Television Studios
Alta Loma Entertainment
|Original run||August 7, 2005– August 8, 2010|
The Girls Next Door: The Bunny House
|Related shows||Kendra on Top|
The Girls Next Door, also known as The Girls of the Playboy Mansion, is a reality television series which originally aired on E! from August 7, 2005 until August 8, 2010. The series was created by executive producer Kevin Burns and Hugh Hefner, founder of Playboy magazine.
The series focuses on the lives of Hefner's girlfriends who live with him at the Playboy Mansion. Hefner is often on the show along with various Playmates and other celebrities.
The series not only showcases events at the Playboy Mansion (e.g. Fight Night, Fourth of July celebration, the midsummer celebration etc.), but also sheds light on other Playboy related events such as the Playboy Jazz Festival at the Hollywood Bowl, Playmate test shoots at Playboy Studio West, Operation Playmate, party night, birthday parties, and more significantly, the personalities and real lives of each of the Girls.
Development and production
Kevin Burns approached Hefner in 2005, which resulted in a pilot called "Hef's World" being filmed. This followed "Hef, his girlfriends and friends contrasted with the staff". When presented to E!, they told him to go back and interview each of the girlfriends to "see what you can get", which resulted in the premise shifting from Hefner to life in the mansion from a female's perspective.
In October 2008, Hefner's relationships with Madison ended for unconfirmed reasons (though the final episode of the fifth season discusses her unhappiness at the mansion in not being able to get married or have a family with Hefner) and Wilkinson left to continue her relationship with boyfriend Hank Baskett. Marquardt also temporarily left at the same time to film Bridget's Sexiest Beaches for The Travel Channel, but in January 2009 ended her relationship with Hefner and moved out of the mansion permanently.
Despite the end of Hefner's romantic relationship with Madison, Marquardt, and Wilkinson, all three were contractually committed to a sixth and final season. Madison indicated to Life & Style magazine, the manner in which their contractual obligations would be fulfilled was still unknown at the time, but that they were still filming material together. However, the focus of the show shifted to Hefner's new girlfriends, 19-year-old twins Kristina and Karissa Shannon, and 23-year-old Crystal Harris.
Madison did appear in the first two episodes of the season, and also appeared with Marquardt and Wilkinson in the episode "The Showering Inferno", which focused more on them than Harris and the twins.
|Season||Episodes||First airdate||Last airdate||DVD release (R1)|
|1||16||August 7, 2005||December 4, 2005||August 15, 2006|
|2||16||July 30, 2006||November 19, 2006||May 1, 2007|
|3||10||March 4, 2007||September 2, 2007||January 22, 2008|
|4||16||December 9, 2007||March 2, 2008||March 10, 2009|
|5||22||August 18, 2008||March 1, 2009||June 23, 2009|
|6||11||October 11, 2009||August 8, 2010||N/A|
20th Century Fox Home Entertainment released the first five seasons on DVD in Region 1 between 2006-2009. These releases have been discontinued and are now out of print.
In March 2011, it was announced that MPI Home Video had acquired the rights to the series. They subsequently released season 6 on DVD on July 19, 2011. They also re-released the first five seasons on the same day.
In 2008, Kevin Burns approached Kendra and offered her a show of her own. She later accepted and the show premiered on June 7, 2009. The show was a hit for E!, averaging 2.6 million viewers in its first season and setting many records - including being the highest-rated premiere since 2002.
In 2009, Burns revealed he was in talks to create two new shows, one for Madison and one for Marquardt.
- Holly's World premiered on December 6, 2009 as a backdoor pilot and later received an 8-episode first season that began airing on June 13, 2010.
- Just Add Bridget filmed a pilot in April 2010, but wasn't picked up.
In 2011, Holly's World was initially given a third season that was due to begin filming in September, however it was later confirmed the season had been canceled before the production had begun and that the series would not be returning.
In 2012, Kendra announced that she had left E!, effectively canceling Kendra, and that a new show, titled Kendra on Top, would premiere on WE tv in the summer of 2012. As with all other spin-offs, this show is also produced by Kevin Burns and his company Prometheus Entertainment.
The show was an instant hit for E! and quickly had its first season expanded from eight to fifteen episodes. The second season premiere was watched by 1.6 million viewers (which set a 3-year record) and then topped itself by having 2.16 million viewers for the third season premiere - the second highest season premiere ever on the E! network.
The initial success of the show was so great that Playboy published a nude pictorial of Madison, Marquardt, and Wilkinson in the November 2005 issue. This later lead to two more pictorials in September 2006 (to celebrate the premiere of the second season) and March 2008 (celebrating them being voted fourth in Playboy's annual "Sexiest Celebrities" online poll).
The final episode starring Madison, Marquardt and Wilkinson was watched by 2.535 million viewers.
Despite starting with the highest rating season premiere in the show's history, the sixth season saw ratings drop from 2.4 million watching the premiere, to only 960,000 watching the fourth episode only three weeks later. Ratings then dropped even further to 919,000 viewers only five weeks after the premiere.
- The E! True Hollywood Story: Kendra
- [dead link]
- Lang, Derrik J. (October 9, 2008). "Hugh Hefner opens up about Holly Madison breakup". Associated Press. Retrieved October 9, 2008.[dead link]
- Life & Style Magazine December 1, p.49,
- TMZ.com (October 7, 2008). "Holly to Hugh: Hef Off". Retrieved October 7, 2008.
- Korn Miller (January 5, 2009). "Meet Playboy founder Hugh Hefner's other girlfriend, Crystal Harris". New York: NY Daily News. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "The Girls Next Door - Season 1 DVD Information". TVShowsOnDVD.com. January 8, 2006. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "The Girls Next Door - Season 2 DVD Information". TVShowsOnDVD.com. January 5, 2007. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "The Girls Next Door DVD news: Box Art for The Girls Next Door - Season 3". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "The Girls Next Door DVD news: Date Change for The Girls Next Door - Season 4". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "The Girls Next Door DVD news: Press Release for The Girls Next Door - Season 5". TVShowsOnDVD.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- The Girls Next Door DVD news: Announcement for The Girls Next Door - Season 6 | TVShowsOnDVD.com
- The Girls Next Door: Complete Collection - MPI Home Video
- "Ask an E.P.: The Girls Next Door’s Kevin Burns". movieline.com. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "Shows A-Z - kendra on e". the Futon Critic. Retrieved May 29, 2010.
- "‘Kendra’ Scores Highest-Rated First Season Finale Since ‘Anna Nicole’". Broadcasting.com. Retrieved July 7, 2010.
- Wiser, Paige (June 9, 2009). "'Kendra' ratings: Highest series debut since 'The Anna Nicole Show'". Suntimes.com. Retrieved July 7, 2010.
- "Shows A-Z". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved July 21, 2010.
- "Who Wants More Holly Madison? We Do! We Do! - E! Online". Eonline.com. Retrieved June 17, 2010.
- "Holly's World Episodes - Holly's World Full Episode Guides on E!". TheTVGuide.com. Retrieved July 20, 2010.
- "Twitter / Hugh Hefner: @kristinwarner10 "Just Add ...". Twiter.com. Retrieved September 22, 2010.
- "Bridget Marquardt and Boyfriend Get Their Own Reality Show". HollywoodScoop.com. Retrieved August 3, 2010.
- "Twitter / @Hugh Hefner: @GoTeamBridget GND spinoff ...". Twitter.com. Retrieved January 27, 2011.
- "Twitter / Hugh Hefner: @GNDpastNpresent Yes, if t". Twitter.com. Retrieved August 5, 2010.
- "Shows A-Z - girls next door, the on e". TheFutonCritic.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- Photos: Holly Madison chats about 'Peepshow,' 'Holly’s World' at 'Hangover 2' party - Las Vegas Sun News
- The Girls Next Door on Twitter.
- "Kendra lands new WE reality show, 'Kendra On Top'". USA Today. March 21, 2012.
- "The Girls Next Door: Preview of Tonight's Episode". Buddytv.com. December 9, 2007. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "WWE RAW, The Closer and President Obama lead cable viewing". Tvbythenumbers.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Cable Ratings: ‘Knocked Up', New ‘Girls Next Door,’ Propel E! - 2009-10-12 18:33:31 | Broadcasting & Cable". Broadcastingcable.com. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Dexter sets another series high, beats Mad Men". Tvbythenumbers.com. November 3, 2009. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- "Sunday cable finals: World War II in HD beats Curbed, Dexter, Prisoner and Californication". Tvbythenumbers.com. November 18, 2009. Retrieved August 4, 2010.
- Official website at E! Online
- Official website at Playboy.com
- The Girls Next Door at the Internet Movie Database