The Golden Dogs
|The Golden Dogs|
|Origin||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
|Genres||Rock, indie rock|
|Labels||True North, Nevado Records, Dine Alone Records|
|Past members||Neil Quin
Michael W. Chambers
The Golden Dogs are a pop-rock band based in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. Formed in 2001, the band is known for their wild, energetic live shows and were labelled as one of the best live bands in Canada by Chart Magazine.
Dave Azzolini is the songwriting force, supported by wife Jessica Grassia on drums (formerly on keys). Together they produce the bands live shows and recorded music. Their debut album Everything in 3 Parts, released on True North Records in 2004, began their rising popularity in the Toronto indie scene with the single "YEAH!". More popularity would come in 2006 when the band released their second album with True North Records Big Eye Little Eye. The first two singles "Never Meant Any Harm" and "Construction Worker" were immortalized on video by French director Arno Salters. Big Eye Little Eye was released in the USA on August 16, 2007 on Yeproc Records.
In 2008, the band had a busy year in the USA touring with the likes of, most notably, Feist, Sloan. Later in that year, the band parted ways with True North Records and spent most of 2009 writing and recording their third full-length album, Coat of Arms, which was recorded by Carlin Nicholson and Mike O'Brien, members of Zeus. Some members of The Golden Dogs appeared on much of Zeus' album Say Us. "Coat of Arms" was released on Nevado Records in Canada and Dine Alone Records in the USA.
The band has shared the stage with several notable acts including Sloan, Feist, Joel Plaskett, The Meligrove Band, The Bicycles, The Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Bloc Party, Blue Rodeo, Major Grange, Roky Erikson, Thurston Moore, Electric Six, The Willowz, Ida Maria, Malajube, Peter Elkas, Liam Finn, Bahamas, Zeus, White Cowbell Oklahoma, The Balconies, Hexes and Ohs, Rich Aucoin, Jason Collett, State Radio
The band has welcomed two new members to their current line up while Grassia has moved from keyboards to the drum kit. The band is currently in production of their 4th studio album which is due to be released in the spring of 2014.
- The Golden Dogs (2002, Original Six Song EP Indie Release)
- Everything in 3 Parts (2003, Full-Length Indie Release)
- Everything in 3 Parts (2004, Re-release from True North Records/Universal Records)
- Big Eye Little Eye (2006, True North Records)
- Coat of Arms (2010, Nevado Records (CAN)
- Coat of Arms (2011, Dine Alone Records (US)
- TBA (2013)
- "Can't Get Your Face Out of My Head" (2004)
- "Yeah!" (2005)
- "Never Meant Any Harm" (2006)
- "Construction Worker" (2007)
- "Construction Worker / Lester" 7 inch vinyl (2008)
- Music of Canada
- Canadian rock
- List of Canadian musicians
- List of bands from Canada
- Category:Canadian musical groups
- "T.O.'s Golden Dogs have 'Eye' on road" by Mark Daniell, for JAM! Music, Canadian Online Explorer, Quebecor Media. 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- "The Golden Dogs Start Over Using The Hand Of Zeus" by Scott Bryson, for CHARTattack. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Mark Daniell. "T.O.'s Golden Dogs have 'Eye' on road". JAM! Music. Canadian Online Explorer. Quebecor Media. 2007-12-16. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- Scott Bryson. "The Golden Dogs Start Over Using The Hand Of Zeus". CHARTattack. 2010-09-24. Retrieved 2010-12-16.
- David Missio. "The Golden Dogs @ CMW 2007". Chart. 2007-03-12. Retrieved 2010-12-16. "The Golden Dogs probably have the best live show you can see in a medium-to-small sized venue anywhere."