The Good Dinosaur
|The Good Dinosaur|
Official film logo
|Directed by||Peter Sohn|
|Produced by||Denise Ream|
|Story by||Enrico Casarosa
Neil Patrick Harris
|Music by||Mychael Danna|
|Distributed by||Walt Disney Studios
The Good Dinosaur is an upcoming American 3D computer-animated comedy film produced by Pixar Animation Studios and released by Walt Disney Pictures. It is scheduled to be released on November 25, 2015. It is the studio's sixteenth feature film. Bob Peterson, who came up with the idea for the story, directed The Good Dinosaur until August 2013, when he was removed from the film. On October 21, 2014, Peter Sohn (who had previously been co-director) was announced as the new director of The Good Dinosaur.
In a world where dinosaurs have never become extinct, a young Apatosaurus named Arlo loses his father in a tragic accident. One day, Arlo falls into a river and gets knocked out by a rock, finding himself far away from his home. While trying to find a way back to the Clawed-Tooth mountains, he befriends Spot, a human cave-boy.
- Lucas Neff as Arlo, the youngest of the Apatosaurus family
- John Lithgow as Poppa, father of the Apatosaurus family
- Frances McDormand as Momma, mother of the Apatosaurus family
- Neil Patrick Harris as Cliff, middle-sibling of the Apatosaurus family
- Judy Greer as Ivy, middle-sibling of the Apatosaurus family
- Bill Hader as Forrest, older brother of the Apatosaurus family
When a promotional video for Up called Up: B-roll 1 was released in 2009, many fans noticed four stand-out images in the background of sculptor Greg Dykstra's office. The top image is a clay sculpture of a sauropod dinosaur with a person standing next to it. Below it are two more images of clay sculptures of a boy. The fourth image, not clearly visible, is a drawing of the same or another Sauropod. As Up was released in May of that year, development could have started as early as 2009. The film's first release date of November 27, 2013 was first announced in June 2011. Not long after, the plot, director & co-director, producer, and other small details were announced at the D23 Expo on August 20, 2011. Bob Peterson and John Walker humorously titled the film The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dinosaurs and even created a logo for the mock title. On April 24, 2012, Pixar announced that it would be titled The Good Dinosaur.
John Lasseter gave details about the film's plot: "They are kind of cartoony but they are dinosaurs; they are not walking around with clothes on or anything like that, they still are kind of dinosaurs. We focused on mostly the plant-eaters, not the carnivores… Their society becomes more of an agrarian society, meaning farmers. They become farmers. It’s a very funny story about a certain way of life that a young dinosaur has trouble fitting into and he ends up going on this quest. He kind of messes up and he has to put everything right by going on this quest and on that quest he meets this character that is an outcast from his society too and so the two of them form this bond and it becomes this unique kind of story…" The filmmakers want to explore what dinosaurs represent today, and how they are represented in stereotypes. Bob Peterson said: "It's time to do a movie where you get to know the dinosaur, what it's really like to be a dinosaur and to be with a dinosaur." Peterson said the inspiration for the movie came from a childhood visit to the World's Fair where he was impressed by some dinosaur animatronics. The film's title might suggest that dinosaurs are evil. However, Peter Sohn warned: "The title is deceptively simple. It has more meaning than it seems."
On December 22, 2011, Disney shared upcoming release dates for its films. The film Frozen rested on the date of November 27, 2013, which led many to believe that The Untitled Pixar Movie About Dinosaurs, originally scheduled for release on that date, had been given the title of Frozen. However, Peter Sciretta of /Film confirmed with Disney that Frozen is not a Pixar film. Further, Bleeding Cool received tips, later proven accurate, that Frozen is an adaptation of the long-dormant Snow Queen animated film by Walt Disney Animation Studios. Later, Pixar announced that The Good Dinosaur would be released on May 30, 2014. On August 9, 2013, at the D23 Expo it was announced that Lucas Neff, John Lithgow, Frances McDormand, Neil Patrick Harris, Judy Greer, and Bill Hader had joined the cast of the film.
By summer 2013, the director and producer had been removed from the film due to the story problems. Peterson, who couldn't crack the film's third act, was notably absent at D23 Expo, where Sohn and producer Denise Ream presented footage from the film. Ed Catmull, Pixar's president, explained the departure: "All directors get really deep in their film. Sometimes you just need a different perspective to get the idea out. Sometimes directors... are so deeply embedded in their ideas it actually takes someone else to finish it up." Peterson moved on to another project he is developing at Pixar, while Ream replaced Walker, who left to work on Tomorrowland. John Lasseter, Lee Unkrich, Mark Andrews, and Sohn stepped in temporarily to work on various sections of the film. In September 2013, The Good Dinosaur had been pushed back from May 30, 2014 to November 25, 2015 (the scheduled release date for Finding Dory) to "give the film some more time." In November 2013, due to the delay, Pixar laid off 67 employees of its 1,200-person workforce, following the closure of Pixar Canada a month before, when about 80 employees had been laid off, officially to refocus Pixar's efforts at its main headquarters. In August 2014, John Lithgow revealed in an interview that the film had been dismantled and "completely reimagined" and he was expected to re-record his role in the next month while mentioning that Frances McDormand was still part of the film. In November 2014, it was revealed that the concept of the dinosaurs being farmers had been abandoned and other elements had been added, such as treating nature itself as the film's antagonist.
The Good Dinosaur will be theatrically released on November 25, 2015. Before the rescheduling from 2014 to 2015, a Monsters University short film titled Party Central was set to accompany the film, but was instead shown with the theatrical release of Muppets Most Wanted. On April 28, 2015, it was revealed that The Good Dinosaur will be preceded by a new Pixar short, Sanjay's Super Team, directed by Sanjay Patel.
- Keegan, Rebecca (August 30, 2013). "Pixar Animation yanks director Bob Peterson off 'The Good Dinosaur'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- "Mychael Danna Scoring Pixar’s ‘The Good Dinosaur’". Film Music Reporter. May 20, 2015. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Keegan, Rebecca (18 September 2013). "'The Good Dinosaur' moved to 2015, leaving Pixar with no 2014 film". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Amidi, Amid (October 22, 2014). "Peter Sohn Named New Director of Pixar’s ‘The Good Dinosaur’". Cartoon Brew. Retrieved October 22, 2014.
- Tartaglione, Nancy (May 20, 2015). "Disney/Pixar Spotlight On ‘Finding Dory’, ‘Good Dinosaur’ & More Charms Cannes". Deadline. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Setoodeh, Ramin (May 20, 2015). "John Lasseter on ‘Finding Dory,’ ‘The Good Dinosaur’ and Disney/Pixar Slate". Variety. Retrieved May 20, 2015.
- Beard, Lanford. "Pixar preview: Casts announced for 'The Good Dinosaur,' 'Inside Out'". Entertainment Weekly. Retrieved 2013-08-09.
- Billington, Alex (August 9, 2013). "D23 Reveals First Look at Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' + Voice Cast". First Showing. Retrieved August 10, 2013.
- Bastoli, Mike (August 27, 2009). "Art hints at Pixar dinosaur film (UPDATE)". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Bastoli, Mike (June 20, 2011). "Untitled Pixar feature coming Nov. 27, 2013". Big Screen Animation. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Rizvi, Samad (August 21, 2011). "D23 2011: A Few More Details On Pixar’s Dinosaur Movie". Pixar Times. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Rizvi, Samad (April 24, 2012). "CinemaCon 2012: Pixar’s Dinosaur Film Gets A Title, New Lee Unkrich Project Announced". Pixar Times. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Connelly, Brendon (June 5, 2012). "John Lasseter Explains Pixar’s The Good Dinosaur And Pete Docter’s Inside-The-Mind Movie". Bleeding Cool. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Keegan, Rebecca (May 31, 2012). "Pixar's 'The Good Dinosaur' will warm up a prehistoric reputation". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Rizvi, Samad (December 23, 2011). "Pixar Dinosaur Film Bumped Off Nov 2013 Release Date". Pixar Times. Retrieved March 1, 2013.
- Kilday, Gregg (December 4, 2013). "Pixar vs. Disney Animation: John Lasseter's Tricky Tug-of-War". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved December 4, 2013.
- Fischer, Russ (August 26, 2013). "Rumor: ‘The Good Dinosaur’ Director Bob Peterson Is Off the Film". SlashFilm. Retrieved August 30, 2013.
- Taylor, Drew (August 26, 2013). "Pixar Filmmaker Bob Peterson Reportedly Off 'The Good Dinosaur,' Studio Seeking Replacement". The Playlist. Retrieved August 26, 2013.
- Miller, Daniel (November 22, 2013). "Pixar undergoes layoffs due to 'The Good Dinosaur' delay". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 23, 2013.
- "John Lithgow Says The Good Dinosaur Was Dismantled and Reimagined". Collider.com. 2014-05-30. Retrieved 2014-08-19.
- Keegan, Rebecca (November 18, 2014). "Pixar redraws the lines for 'Good Dinosaur'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved November 18, 2014.
- Barcomb, James (March 14, 2013). "Film composer Thomas Newman discusses "The Art of Film Scoring"". The Dolphin. Retrieved March 16, 2013.
- Fischer, Russ (August 9, 2013). "‘Monsters University’ Short Film ‘Party Central’ Revealed". /Film. Retrieved August 9, 2013.
- Keegan, Rebecca (April 28, 2015). "Pixar artist Sanjay Patel gets personal with 'Sanjay's Super Team'". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved April 28, 2015.
- The Good Dinosaur at the Internet Movie Database
- The Good Dinosaur at the Big Cartoon DataBase
- The Good Dinosaur at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Good Dinosaur at Metacritic
- The Good Dinosaur at Box Office Mojo