The Good Witch
|The Good Witch|
|Directed by||Craig Pryce|
|Produced by||Orly Adelson
|Written by||Rod Spence|
|Editing by||George Roulston|
|Original channel||Hallmark Channel|
|Running time||89 minutes|
The Good Witch is a television film that aired on the Hallmark Channel on January 19, 2008. It starred Catherine Bell as Cassandra Nightingale and Chris Potter as Chief of Police Jake Russell. The film has spawned six sequels and a television series.
A mysterious, darkly beautiful woman named Cassandra Nightingale moves into an old, abandoned house which is reputed to be haunted by its original owner, "The Grey Lady". The small community is divided in their opinion of her: Some want her to stay (especially widowed police chief Jake Russell and his two children), while others want her to leave. Through the course of the story, seemingly magical things happen, and the community attributes these occurrences to her. Everyone begins to wonder if she is really a witch.
- Catherine Bell as Cassandra Nightingale
- Chris Potter as Chief of Police Jake Russell
- Matthew Knight as Brandon Russell
- Hannah Endicott-Douglas as Lori Russell
- Nathan McLeod as Michael
- Jesse Bostick as Kyle
- Paula Boudrea as Nancy
- Noah Cappe as Deputy Derek Sanders
- Catherine Disher as Martha Tinsdale
- Peter MacNeill as George
On January 15, 2008, Hallmark Channel and Limbo, the mobile entertainment community, teamed up to create and launch the cable network's first-ever mobile interactive initiative. The campaign "enhanced viewers' experience of the premiere of the network's original movie ... through 'Limbo Unique' – a game played via cell phone or online". The grand prize was $2,000 and a portrait of the "Grey Lady" that was featured in the movie.
Although set in "Middleton, USA" it was filmed in Hamilton and Niagara on the Lake, Ontario. In the sequel The Good Witch's Charm, the map on the wall in the police station shows Middleton north and west of Chicago, in the vicinity of DuPage County. The names of the suburbs and interstates that are west of Chicago can be clearly seen.
The movie had great success on Hallmark Channel on the night of its premiere, making it the second-highest-rated original movie to that date. It premiered with a 3.8 HH (household) rating and was in nearly 3.2 million homes. It also was #1 in its time period, propelling the channel to the #4 spot in weekly ranking.
The Good Witch (Region 1) DVD was released on January 5, 2010.
On February 7, 2009, the Hallmark Channel aired a sequel, The Good Witch's Garden. The second sequel, The Good Witch's Gift, aired on November 13, 2010, on Hallmark. The fourth installment, The Good Witch's Family, aired on October 29, 2011. The fifth installment The Good Witch's Charm premiered on October 27, 2012. The Good Witch's Destiny sixth installment premiered on October 26, 2013. A seventh installment, The Good Witch's Wonder, aired October 25, 2014.
- A dark grey cell indicates the character was not in the film.
|The Good Witch||Garden||Gift||Family||Charm||Destiny||Wonder||Good Witch (TV series)|
|Cassie Nightingale||Catherine Bell|
|Jake Russell||Chris Potter|
|Martha Tinsdale||Catherine Disher|
|George||Peter MacNeill||Peter MacNeill|
|Brandon Russell||Matthew Knight||Dan Jeannotte|
|Lori Russell||Hannah Endicott-Douglas|
|Tom Tinsdale||Paul Miller|
|Gwen||Elizabeth Lennie||Elizabeth Lennie|
|Abigail Merriwick||Sarah Power||Sarah Power|
|Grace Russell||uncredited||uncredited||Lily-Fay Mowbray||Bailee Madison|
|Nick||Rhys Matthew Bond|
In February 2014, the Hallmark Channel announced that Good Witch had been green-lighted for a ten-episode series, starring Catherine Bell, to premiere on February 28, 2015. Production for the first season began on October 29, 2014, in Toronto, with Dan Petrie, Jr. as showrunner. Bailee Madison and James Denton will also star.
- Hallmark Channel Press Site: Company Milestones[dead link]
- Futon Critic: Hallmark Channel Press Release 10/17/2008
- Hallmark Channel Press Release 1/23/2008[dead link]
- Hallmark Channel Press Release 12/8/2008[dead link]
- The Good Witch's Garden at Hallmark
- The Futon Critic News
- Catherine Bell and Chris Potter Reteam for the Spell-Binding Seventh Installment in "The Good Witch" Series
- Hallmark Channel's Good Witch Movies To Spawn Drama Series Starring Catherine Bell
- Join Us Saturday, February 28 8/7c for the Two-Hour World Premiere Event of Good Witch, A Hallmark Channel Original Primetime Series
- James Denton to Star in Hallmark Channel's 'The Good Witch'
- The Good Witch series begins production
- The Good Witch[dead link] at Hallmark Channel
- The Good Witch Movies[dead link] on Hallmark Channel
- The Good Witch at the Internet Movie Database