The Grand Seduction
|The Grand Seduction|
|Directed by||Don McKellar|
|Produced by||Barbara Doran
|Written by||Ken Scott
|Based on||Seducing Doctor Lewis film directed
by Jean-François Pouliot
|Music by||Francois-Pierre Lue
|Editing by||Dominique Fortin|
|Distributed by||Entertainment One|
|Running time||115 minutes|
The Grand Seduction is a 2013 Canadian comedy film directed by Don McKellar and written by Ken Scott and Michael Dowse. The film stars Taylor Kitsch, Brendan Gleeson, Liane Balaban and Gordon Pinsent. It is based on a 2003 film, Seducing Doctor Lewis.
- Taylor Kitsch as Dr. Lewis
- Brendan Gleeson as Murray French
- Liane Balaban as Kathleen
- Gordon Pinsent as Simon
- Anna Hopkins as Helen (voice)
- Rhonda Rodgers as Samantha
The Grand Seduction is based on the 2003 film Seducing Doctor Lewis (original French title La grande séduction). Shortly after it came out at Sundance Film Festival, an English-speaking version of the film was recommended. South Korea, Spain and Canada were all interested in doing a remake but only Canada, France and Italy ultimately developed remakes. Initially, Michael Dowse was to direct the film but he dropped out due to "artistic differences" with producer Roger Frappier. Ken Scott, who wrote the original script, was then attached at the direction of the film. He and Frappier planned the remake to be 80 per cent the same as the original. The film was expected to start shooting on 28 August 2011, but it got delayed. In April 2012, Scott left the project to focus on the remaking of his Starbuck film. In May 2012, Don McKellar came on board as director.
In 2011, there had been talks to have Robin Williams in the film but scheduling conflicts got in the way. Taylor Kitsch and Brendan Gleeson's participation was confirmed in July 2012. Set in Tickle Cove, principal photography started on 30 July 2012 in St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador. The film was also shot in Trinity Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador. Filming wrapped in September 2012.
The film was premiered at the 2013 Toronto International Film Festival (TIFF). It was also selected as the opening film of the Atlantic Film Festival and the Calgary International Film Festival.
Upon the screening at TIFF, The Hollywood Reporter's John DeFore described the film as a "charming, wholly commercial little comedy" that is "formulaic but pleasing", and praised Gleeson's performance. In her overview of the films shown at TIFF, Monika Bartyzel of The Week wrote: "The Grand Seduction is a super-sweet community tale sparked by the inclusion of McKellar's wry humor. It's a film overflowing with charm from end to end."
- Fleming, Mike (30 July 2012). "Brendan Gleeson, Taylor Kitsch Find ‘The Grand Seduction’". Deadline.com. PMC. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Canadian Screen Awards: Orphan Black, Less Than Kind, Enemy nominated". CBC News, 13 January 2014.
- "Quebec film La Grande Seduction gets triple remake". CBC News. 21 June 2011. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Kelly, Brendan (20 June 2011). "Ken Scott to direct English remake of the 2003 Quebec film hit La grande seduction". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Bradbury, Tara (22 June 2011). "Major film remake to be shot in Trinity Bight". The Telegram. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Kelly, Brendan (24 April 2012). "Producer Roger Frappier "flabbergasted" that Ken Scott has dropped out of The Grand Seduction". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Kelly, Brendan (2 May 2012). "Don McKellar to direct The Grand Seduction". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Dunlevy, T'Cha (30 July 2012). "Gleeson, Kitsch to star in The Grand Seduction; shooting starts today". Montreal Gazette. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "Trinity Bay seduces Hollywood stars for film remake". CBC News. 22 August 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- "DOUGLAS KOCH WRAPS "THE GRAND SEDUCTION"". Sesler & Company. 20 September 2012. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- ""The Grand Seduction" premiered at 2013 Toronto International Film Festival". upandcomers.net. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 24 July 2013.
- "Toronto film festival 2013: the full line-up". The Guardian. Retrieved 2013-07-24.
- "The Grand Seduction to open Atlantic film fest". CBC News. 23 July 2013. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Volmers, Eric (19 September 2013). "The Grand Seduction a decidedly Canadian way to open the Calgary International Film Festival". The Calgary Herald. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- DeFore, John (11 September 2013). "The Grand Seduction: Toronto Review". The Hollywood Reporter. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
- Bartyzel, Monika (18 September 2013). "Toronto International Film Festival: 7 more movies you should know about". The Week. Retrieved 28 December 2013.
|This article related to a Canadian film of the 2010s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This film article about a 2010s comedy is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|