The Great Gatsby (1949 film)
|The Great Gatsby|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Elliott Nugent|
|Produced by||Richard Maibaum|
|Written by||Richard Maibaum
F. Scott Fitzgerald (novel)
Owen Davis (play)
Howard Da Silva
|Music by||Robert Emmett Dolan|
|Cinematography||John F. Seitz|
|Editing by||Ellsworth Hoagland|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
|Release date(s)||July 13, 1949|
|Running time||91 minutes|
The Great Gatsby (1949) is a feature film released by Paramount Pictures, directed by Elliott Nugent, and produced by Richard Maibaum, from a screenplay by Richard Maibaum and Cyril Hume based on the novel of the same title by F. Scott Fitzgerald and the play by Owen Davis. The music score was by Robert Emmett Dolan and the cinematography by John F. Seitz. The production was designed by Roland Anderson and Hans Dreier and the costumes by Edith Head.
Gene Tierney was to be loaned out to Paramount to star as Daisy. Tyrone Power had stipulated that he would star as long as Tierney was cast. Elliott Nugent and producer Maibaum felt Tierney's beauty would be a distraction for Daisy. Tierney was dropped, and Power left the production.
This was the second film adaptation of the novel, after the 1926 silent version (now considered a lost film because no prints are known to exist). In 2012, a new print of the 1949 film was produced.
- Alan Ladd as Jay Gatsby
- Betty Field as Daisy Buchanan
- Macdonald Carey as Nick Carraway
- Ruth Hussey as Jordan Baker
- Barry Sullivan as Tom Buchanan
- Howard Da Silva as George Wilson
- Shelley Winters as Myrtle Wilson
- The Great Gatsby (1949) at IMDB
- PAT O'BRIEN TO STAR IN 'THE BIG ANGLE': Crime Drama Was Written by Author of 'Bombardier'-- 'Gatsby' to Be Remade Special to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 26 Feb 1946: 31.
- NOTES ABOUT PICTURES AND PEOPLE: New York to Get Another Film Unit -- Ticket Tax Cut Asked -- Addenda By A.H. WEILER. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 26 Oct 1947: X5.
- "Mary Armitage's FILM CLOSE-UPS.". The Mail (Adelaide, SA : 1912 - 1954) (Adelaide, SA: National Library of Australia). 27 March 1948. p. 2 Supplement: SUNDAY MAGAZINE. Retrieved 4 March 2012.
- NUGENT REPLACES FARROW ON MOVIE: Named by Paramount to Direct 'The Great Gatsby,' Remake of Fitzgerald Novel By THOMAS F. BRADYSpecial to THE NEW YORK TIMES.. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 13 Feb 1948: 26.
- Music Box Theatre, Chicago, Illinois. Music Box Calendar for August 2012, page 29.