The Great Unraveling
- For the rock band, see The Great Unraveling (band).
|The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century|
The Great Unraveling cover
|Publisher||W. W. Norton|
|Publication date||August, 2003|
|Media type||Print (Hardcover)|
The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century is a book by Paul Krugman, consisting of a collection of his columns for the New York Times (and some for Slate and Fortune). The collected columns were concerned mainly with the US economy in the early 2000s, and about the economic and foreign policies of the George W. Bush administration.
The book was a best seller, and was 3rd on the New York Times Best Seller list for the week of October 5, 2003, and remained on the best seller list for eight weeks. It was listed as one of the 'notable books' of 2003 by the New York Times.
Taken as a whole, the columns were a scathing criticism of the Bush administration, and the Republican party at that time. Krugman argued that the large deficits during that time were generated by the Bush administration as a result of decreasing taxes on the rich, increasing public spending, and fighting the Iraq war. Krugman wrote that these policies were unsustainable in the long run and would eventually generate a major economic crisis.
- "The Great Unraveling". W. W. Norton & Company. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Baker, Russell (2003-11-06). "The Awful Truth". New York Review of Books. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- Beinart, Peter (2003-10-05). "An Accidental Radical". New York Times. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction - New York Times". New York Times. 2003-10-05. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- "Hardcover Nonfiction - New York Times". New York Times. 2003-11-16. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- "Notable Books - New York Times". New York Times. 2003-12-07. Retrieved 2010-01-12.
- The Economist, 13 November 2003, Paul Krugman, one-handed economist
- "The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way in the New Century". Powell's Books. Retrieved 2007-11-22.
- Krugman, Paul, Rolling Stone. 14 December 2006, "The Great Wealth Transfer"