The Green Children
|The Green Children|
The Green Children are a European musical duo, who write and self-produce atmospheric electro-pop music. Milla Sunde (born 17 December 1983), from Norway, and Marlow Bevan (born 4 October 1984), from England, also established The Green Children Foundation, to support microcredit, education and healthcare.
Hear Me Now (2006)
In December 2006, The Green Children released a fundraising CD/DVD entitled Hear Me Now throughout Norway. Through sales and donations from around the world they raised $400,000 for one of the first eye hospitals in rural Bangladesh. The hospital was opened on May 12th 2008 by The Green Children and Professor Muhammad Yunus, the 2006 Nobel Peace Prize winner. Yunus initiated this project with Grameen to save the sight of many of his countrymen and women.
They left Universal in 2010 and signed a world-wide distribution deal with Los Angeles-based Spinside Records, a subsidiary of Inside Recordings, owned by legendary musician Jackson Browne. Spinside Records is distributed by Alternative Distribution Alliance and ADA Global, owned by Warner Music Group and Sub Pop Records. Their deal with Spinside Records was secured by their former manager Cheryl Bogart who worked with them in 2009/2010.
Their first self-produced album Encounter was released in October 2010, to great critical acclaim. Rolling Stone described it as a collection of "Searching dance-pop ballads from elfin dreamers…Encounter glides by like Lady Gaga on a unicorn. Sunde gives synth-diva histrionics a mystical spritz, singing about dragons and black magic over skittering electro beats." Reema Kumari Jadeja from MOBO wrote that, "The Green Children masterfully sprinkle sincere soul and magic into a music scene that requires some much needed fantasy and romanticism... The emerald duo's debut is an audio fairytale that confiscates all grips on reality and leaves one hopelessly daydreaming."
Jackson Browne described Encounter as "A hook fueled, emotional songscape - with powerful tracks and soaring, achingly beautiful vocals."
In October 2011, 'Encounter' was nominated in the first round of voting for a U.S. Grammy Award, in two categories, 'Best New Artist' and 'Best Pop Vocal Album'. The CD was also distributed into Whole Foods Market as a part of a campaign to raise funds and awareness for micro-finance.
In April 2012, The Green Children produced a Remix of 'Houdini' by chart toppers Foster The People. The animated YouTube video gained 500,000 views within two weeks of its release and benefited the charity SOS Children's Villages.
Feel the Light and Connection (2012-Current)
At the end of 2012 The Green Children released 3 songs from their second album. Critical acclaim was universally positive.
They received US radio support and their music was featured on MTV during the release.
The duo's second full length album, entitled Connection was released in the USA and Canada on July 23rd, 2013 through Amoeba Music. Fans who pre-ordered the album received autographed copies.
- 2010: Encounter
- 2013: Connection
- 2010: Encounter Remixed
- 2006: Hear Me Now (CD/DVD)
- 2009: Hear Me Now
- 2009: Life Was Beautiful
- 2010: Dragons
- 2011: Can You Find Your Way
- 2012: Feel the Light
- Jenna Markowski. The Green Children Interview – Milla Sunde Discusses the Band and Their Cause. Static Multimedia, September 29, 2010
- Karl Burkart The Green Children fight poverty on iTunes MNN.com. July 30th, 2009.
- Rising International Philanthropic Pop Duo Sign With Universal Music Group redorbit.com, August 25, 2008.
- The Green Children's audio enchantment mobo.com, October 11, 2010.
- Song Of The Day About.com, September 16, 2010.
- Encounter 'Encounter' again Electrocutie, November 11, 2010.
- The Green Children on UK CLub Charts Music Week, April, 2011.
- The Green Children & Whole Foods Make Beautiful Music Alternative Consumer
- The Green Children Bring Soul To Electro-Pop Shockya.com, November 19th, 2012.
- The Green Children Share Free MTV Download Starpulse.com, December 12th, 2012.