Former headquarters in Hanover
|Key people||Christian Heise; Ansgar Heise|
|Products||magazines and telephone books|
Heinz Heise is a publishing house based in Hannover, Germany. Its focus is PC-oriented publications such as c't, iX and heise.de, as well as corresponding online services published by its UK-based subsidiary Heise Media UK Ltd.
Heise was created by Heinz Heise in Hanover in 1949 as an address and telephone directory publisher, then later expanded to include magazines and loose leaf collections. In 2001, the company was divided into separate enterprises, all of which came under the umbrella of their parent company, the Heise Media Group. Their turnover was in year 2008 at 108,7 million euro.
In July 2006, Heise Security was launched in the UK. It mostly featured translated news from the German site, but also featured locally relevant stories. The UK version of Heise Online came in February 2008. In February 2009, the UK site was renamed to The H, and located at
h-online.com. In July 2013, The H was closed down because it proved difficult to monetize traffic to the website. The website archive was taken down and the site redirected to heise.de in January 2014.
Heise publishes the magazines:
- c't (the computer magazine with the highest number of subscribers in Europe);
- iX (focusing on topics for IT professionals);
- the German edition of Technology Review; and,
- the online magazine Telepolis.
These publications feed into the Heise News Ticker, which ranks among the most successful German language news portals which includes a frequented user forum. The company also owns Heise Online (
heise.de), which, as of December 2009, is a top 1000 website in the world, and a top 50 site in Germany according to Alexa traffic rankings.
In the UK, Heise had a subsidiary Heise Media UK Ltd., which published The H (
h-online.com) with the following channels:
- The H - Open (
- The H - Security (
- The H - Developer (
- The H - Downloads (
- The H - Price Insight (
- "Heise Medien Gruppe" (pdf). Heise Medien Gruppe GmbH & Co. KG. p. 8. Retrieved 2011-07-06.[dead link]
- Schmidt, Juergen (2006-07-03), heise Security ab sofort auch in Großbritannien (in German), heise Security, retrieved 2013-01-29
- Welcome to The H: Regular readers may have noticed a big change on the site. We'd like to welcome to you to The H., The H online, 2009-02-17, archived from the original on 16 October 2009, retrieved 2013-01-29
- The H is closing down, The H online, 2013-07-19, archived from the original on 19 July 2013, retrieved 2013-07-19
- Schestowitz, Roy (26 January 2014). "Bringing The H Open/H-Online Articles Back Online Without Help From Heise". TechRights. Retrieved 27 January 2014.
- "Reichweite heise online und Mitbewerber 2005-06" (pdf) (in German). (rate card). 2006. Retrieved 2011-07-06.
- "heise.de". Alexa. 2014. Retrieved 2014-01-10. "Global Rank 778 / Rank in Germany 24"
- German sites