The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2011)|
|The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things|
The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things
|Directed by||Asia Argento|
|Produced by||Chris Hanley,
Ryan R. Johnson, etc
|Distributed by||Palm Pictures|
|Release dates||May 15, 2004|
|Running time||97 minutes|
The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things is a 2004 film directed by and starring Asia Argento, Jimmy Bennett & Dylan and Cole Sprouse (with Jimmy, Dylan and Cole sharing the role as Jeremiah). It is based on JT LeRoy's novel of the same name. The film received a limited release in North American theatres on March 10, 2006. The title is taken from Jeremiah .
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (November 2012)|
The film concerns a tattered relationship between Sarah (Argento), a drug addict, and her son, Jeremiah (played by Jimmy Bennett at age seven, and by Cole and Dylan Sprouse at age 11). Their life together is marked by Sarah's drug-taking and heavy drinking.
Sarah becomes involved with a series of men who treat her and Jeremiah poorly, and she uses them as an excuse to abandon her son. She disappears to Atlantic City with her boyfriend, Emerson (Jeremy Renner), and then abandons him; Emerson returns to their home and rapes Jeremiah. After a trip to hospital, Jeremiah's grandmother takes him to a West Virginian radical Christian cult led by his grandfather (Peter Fonda). After he has been three years with the cult, Sarah returns to reclaim the 11-year-old Jeremiah. Sarah's current lover, Kenny, a truck driver, eventually abandons them at a truck stop while Sarah is soliciting. She realizes that if she is going to keep her men she cannot say Jeremiah is her son. She persuades Jeremiah to cross dress so he can act as her "little sister", and Jeremiah's crossdressing evolves to include his mother's seduction techniques. After dressing up as a "baby doll" version of Sarah, Jeremiah/Sarah seduces Jackson (Marilyn Manson), his mother's latest man, who initially tries to rebuff the boy's advances, but then gives in. Sarah is furious with Jackson for giving in to the boy's advances and with Jeremiah for ruining her panties, and she takes Jeremiah and leaves.
Later, they are in a house where the basement houses a methamphetamine laboratory which later blows up with Sarah's latest boyfriend inside. After fleeing, and while detoxing from methamphetamine, Sarah is convinced that everyone is after them and that only certain foods are edible (mainly chips and soda). She convinces Jeremiah that if they eat anything but those foods, they will be poisoned which leads them to a failed attempt to shoplift at a grocery store; afterwards, Jeremiah finds a hamburger to eat from a dumpster. His mother, in a state of "meth psychosis" is convinced the food he ate was poison, and makes him drink ipecac in order to make him better and rid him of any "poisons". Jeremiah wakes up in the hospital with his grandmother beside him. She tells him that Sarah is in the psychiatric ward. Later that night, Sarah collects Jeremiah from his hospital room, and, rather than have him go back to the cult, she clutches his hand and they walk away in hospital gowns. The final scene is of Sarah and Jeremiah driving away.
- Asia Argento as Sarah
- Jimmy Bennett as Young Jeremiah
- Dylan and Cole Sprouse as Older Jeremiah (the Sprouse Twins kept switching every scene)
- Peter Fonda as Grandfather
- Ornella Muti as Grandmother
- Kip Pardue as Luther
- Jeremy Renner as Emerson
- John Robinson as Aaron
- Ben Foster as Fleshy Boy
- Marilyn Manson as Jackson
- Michael Pitt as Buddy
- Jeremy Sisto as Chester
- Winona Ryder as Psychologist (uncredited)
Argento and distribution company, Palm Pictures, have confirmed that the Region 1 edition of the DVD lacks approximately two minutes of footage (predominantly the meth lab explosion) due to an authoring error during mass production. Those that have purchased the Region 1 DVD may contact Palm Pictures directly and a replacement disc, with all scenes intact, will be offered in exchange.
Although the soundtrack to the film was never commercially released, here is a list of different songs featured in the movie, along with the scenes they are played in.
- "Born to be Dizzy" - The Starlite Desperation (Sarah and Jeremiah drive away from the hospital)
- "Karen Koltrane (instrumental version)" - Sonic Youth (Jeremiah draws on the walls)
- "Beautiful Plateau" - Sonic Youth (Sarah and Jeremiah drive away from exploding meth lab)
- "Linda Lovelace" - David Allen Coe (Kenny leaves Jeremiah alone in truck after "cleaning up")
- "She Said" - Hasil Adkins (Sarah gets Jeremiah and meets Kenny)
- "Muskrat" - Pagoda (At the end, when Jeremiah leaves the diner)
- "Mickey Mouse is Dead (live)" - The Subhumans (Before Kenny changes the tape)
- "Two Time Girl" - Knoxville Girls (after Kenny pulls over to get Sarah's tape)
- "There He Goes" (Asia Argento cover) - Loretta Lynn (At strip club with Sarah)
- Official site[dead link]
- Official Site @ Palm Pictures[dead link]
- The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things at the Internet Movie Database
- The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things at Metacritic
- The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things at Box Office Mojo
- The Heart Is Deceitful Above All Things at AllMovie