The Hole (2009 film)
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Joe Dante|
|Produced by||Claudio Fäh
|Written by||Mark L. Smith|
|Music by||Javier Navarrete|
|Cinematography||Theo van de Sande|
|Edited by||Marshall Harvey|
|Distributed by||Big Air Studios|
|This article needs an improved plot summary. (August 2014)|
Susan and her sons Dane and Lucas Thompson move from Brooklyn to Bensonville, in the countryside. Dane is upset with the constant changes of address and the family has lived in many cities. Lucas and Dane befriend their next door neighbor, the gorgeous Julie and the brothers find a bottomless hole in the basement of their house locked with several padlocks. They take the locks off and soon they are haunted by their darkest fears. Further, they believe that the hole might be a gateway to hell.
- Chris Massoglia as Dane Thompson
- Haley Bennett as Julie Campbell
- Nathan Gamble as Lucas Thompson
- Teri Polo as Susan Thompson
- Bruce Dern as Creepy Carl
- Quinn Lord as Annie Smith
- John DeSantis as Monster Dad
- Merritt Patterson as Young Girl
- Jessica Just as Pool Girl
- Chelsea Ricketts as Whitney
- Chord Overstreet as Adam
- Dick Miller (uncredited cameo) as Pizza Delivery Guy
The film began shooting in 3-D on December 5, 2008, in Vancouver, Canada.
The film garnered positive reviews from critics. Film review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes reports that 80% of the critics gave the film a positive review, based on a sample of 34 reviews, with a rating average of 6.4 out of 10.
The film premiered on September 12, 2009, at 2009 Toronto International Film Festival and had its theatrical release in summer 2010. It screened at the Cannes Film Festival 2010. The film had its United States debut screening at the Castro Theatre in San Francisco on October 7, 2011.
- "Bold Films Developing Action Thriller ‘Psy-Ops’". Screenrant.com. 2009-10-14. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "'The Hole 3D' is Beloved in Toronto and Venice". Blog.movieset.com. 2009-09-15. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "THE HOLE (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. 2010-01-19. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "The Hole (2009) – Box office / business". Amazon.com. Internet Movie Database. 2011-01-01. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "The Hole (2010)". Amazon.com. Box Office Mojo. 2012-01-02. Retrieved 2013-02-09.
- "Joe Dante's 'The D-Hole 3-D' Getting Summer/Fall Release?". Bloody-disgusting.com. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Allen, Michael (2009-11-13). "The D-Hole in 3-D!". 28dayslateranalysis.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Excl: Cirque Du Freak Cast Interviews". Shocktillyoudrop.com. 2009-10-19. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Tabouring, Franck (2008-10-22). "Teri Polo ready to jump into ‘Hole’". Screeninglog.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Afm: Joe Dante's The Hole in 3D Posters!". Dreadcentral.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- thehollywoodnews.com/artman2/publish/movie_news/Teri-Polo-to-star-in-Joe-Dante-s-The-Hole-15221008.php Teri Polo to star in Joe Dante's The Hole[dead link]
- "The Hole – 3D – Cast". movieset.com. Retrieved 2010-10-10.
- "Afm '08: Posters and New Casting For 'The Hole 3-D'!!". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- Oh My Gore ! (2008-11-10). ""The Hole 3D" – Posters and New Casting". English.ohmygore.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Polo, Bennett Join The Hole". Dreadcentral.com. 2008-10-22. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Italian Trailer for Joe Dante's The Hole". Dreadcentral.com. 2010-05-27. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Italian Trailer for Joe Dante's 'The Hole 3D' Featuring New Footage". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Teri Polo Will Star In 3-D Supernatural Movie "The Hole"". Bloody-disgusting.com. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "The Hole". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 26 January 2013.
- TIFF 09: THE HOLE Review – Joe Dante, Horror
- "The Hole Opens Late Summer/Fall?". Dreadcentral.com. 2010-03-30. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "Unofficial Trailer for The Hole Springs a Leak". Dreadcentral.com. 2010-04-30. Retrieved 2010-09-30.
- "The Castro Theatre Current Schedule of Events". Retrieved 2011-10-08.
- The Hole at the Internet Movie Database
- The Hole at Rotten Tomatoes
- Interview with director Joe Dante