Michael Talbot (author)
September 29, 1953|
Grand Rapids, Michigan
|Died||May 27, 1992(aged 38)|
|Cause of death||Leukemia|
Michael Coleman Talbot (September 29, 1953 – May 27, 1992) was an American author of several books highlighting parallels between ancient mysticism and quantum mechanics, and espousing a theoretical model of reality that suggests the physical universe is akin to a giant hologram. According to Talbot ESP, telepathy, and other paranormal phenomena are real and are a product of this holographic model of reality.
Talbot attempted to incorporate spirituality, religion and science to shed light on profound questions. His non-fiction books include Mysticism And The New Physics, Beyond The Quantum, and The Holographic Universe. Talbot often referenced Stanislav Grof, whose work on Holotropic Breathwork was also of obvious influence.
Although Talbot is not known to have made it much of a political issue, he was openly gay, living with a boyfriend, and has become a role model for gay intellectuals. In 1992, Talbot died of lymphocytic leukemia at age 38. With his disease occurring in the midst of the tragic AIDS crisis, Talbot is credited with the ironic comment that he suffered from "an unfashionable disease" since he did not suffer from AIDS but rather from a form of leukemia which also killed him at this young age.
The Holographic Universe 
|The Holographic Universe|
|Publication date||April 1991 (1st ed)|
|Dewey Decimal||530 20|
|LC Classification||QC449 .T35 1991|
Talbot's book The Holographic Universe, which has become his most popular, explores the metaphysical implications that underline quantum mechanics and suggests that the universe is a hologram . After examining the work of physicist David Bohm and neurophysiologist Karl Pribram, each of whom independently arrived at holographic theories or models of the universe, the book argues that a holographic model could possibly explain supersymmetry and also various paranormal and anomalous phenomena and is the basis for mystical experience.
- The Delicate Dependency - 1982
- The Bog - 1986
- Night Things - 1988
- Mysticism And The New Physics ISBN 0-14-019328-6 - 1980 (rev. 1992)
- Beyond The Quantum ISBN 0-553-34480-3 - 1986
- Your Past Lives - 1987
- The Holographic Universe ISBN 0-06-092258-3 - 1991
See also 
- Karl H. Pribram
- David Bohm
- Holonomic brain theory
- Advaita Vedanta
- Simulacra and Simulation
- The Emperor's New Mind
- "Michael Talbot". Contemporary Authors Online. Gale, 2003. Retrieved on December 1, 2008.
- "Obituaries: Michael Talbot, Writer, 38". The New York Times. 2 June 1992. Retrieved 8 September 2010.
- See, for instance, the sales rank on Amazon.com compared with his other books.
- The Universe As A Hologram - article by Michael Talbot
- Synchronicity and the Holographic Universe (Interview on Thinking Allowed)
- A review of "The Holographic Universe" (includes Talbot's Introduction to the book)
- Michael Talbot on Holographic Universe on Google Video