The Horizontal Lieutenant
|The Horizontal Lieutenant|
theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Produced by||Joe Pasternak|
|Written by||George Wells|
|Based on||novel The Bottletop Affair by Gordon Cotler|
|Music by||George Stoll|
|Cinematography||Robert J. Bronner|
|Edited by||Richard W. Farrell|
The Horizontal Lieutenant is a 1962 American romantic comedy war film directed by Richard Thorpe, based on the 1961 novel The Bottletop Affair by Gordon Cotler. It is a military comedy about an unfortunate army intelligence lieutenant who finds himself isolated on a remote Japanese island army outpost during World War II. It stars Jim Hutton and Paula Prentiss and was directed by Richard Thorpe.
Merle Wye, a second lieutenant in the U.S. Army stationed in Hawaii, is attracted to nurse Molly Blue, but she barely gives him the time of day.
The inept Merle is transferred to a remote smaller island, where he is assigned the task of finding a man called Kobayashi who is suspected of pilfering Army supplies. One thing after another goes wrong for Merle, who is knocked cold when Kobayashi finally turns up, but given a medal of valor anyway after Molly is able to capture the prisoner on his behalf.
- Jim Hutton as Merle Wye
- Paula Prentiss as Molly Blue
- Jack Carter as Billy Monk
- Jim Backus as Jeremiah Hammerslag
- Charles McGraw as Col. Charles Korotny
- Miyoshi Umeki as Akiko
- Marty Ingels as Buckles
- Lloyd Kino as Sgt. Jess Yomura
- Linda Wong as Michido
- Yoshio Yoda as Sgt. Roy Tada
- Yuki Shimoda as Kobayashi
The novel was published in 1959.
Hutton and Prentiss were under contract to MGM at the time.
According to MGM records, the film earned $1.1 million in the US and Canada and $750,000 overseas, resulting in a loss of $380,000.
- The Eddie Mannix Ledger, Los Angeles: Margaret Herrick Library, Center for Motion Picture Study.
- The New York Times
- The Horizontal Lieutenant at Turner Classic Movies
- Every Hollywood Press Agent Dreams of a Story Like Hers. This Time If's True Hopper, Hedda. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 22 Oct 1961: b18.
- Books of The Times By ORVILLE PRESCOTT. New York Times (1923-Current file) [New York, N.Y] 31 July 1959: 21.
- Young Jim Hutton Owner of Long Term Film Contract Tinee, Mae. Chicago Daily Tribune (1923-1963) [Chicago, Ill] 12 Nov 1961: f11.
- The Horizontal Lieutenant at the Internet Movie Database
- The Horizontal Lieutenant at the TCM Movie Database
- Original trailer at TCM
|This article about a romantic comedy film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a war film is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|