The Hotel Inspector
|The Hotel Inspector|
Title card from Series 4 onwards
|Starring||Ruth Watson (2005-2008)
Alex Polizzi (2008—)
|Narrated by||Richard Vranch (2005)
Mark Halliley (2006—)
|Country of origin||United Kingdom|
|No. of series||10|
|No. of episodes||75 (as of 27 February 2014) (List of episodes)|
|Running time||60 minutes (inc. adverts)|
|Original channel||Channel 5|
|Original run||29 September 2005– present|
|Related shows||The Business Inspector
The Restaurant Inspector
The Hotel Inspector is an observational documentary television series which is broadcast on the British terrestrial television station, Channel 5, and by other networks around the world.
In each episode, a celebrated hotelier (Ruth Watson between 2005 and 2008; Alex Polizzi since 2008) visits a struggling British hotel and tries to turn its fortunes by giving advice and suggestions to the owner.
The series began in late September 2005 and was an instant ratings hit; the show attracted 2.5 million viewers at its peak and this prompted Channel 5 to commission another series. The second series was broadcast in July 2006, followed by a third series in September 2007. The show won a Royal Television Society Award in November 2006.
Accompanied with the third series, an additional complementary series, The Hotel Inspector: Unseen ran on Fiver (now 5*), one of Five's digital channels, immediately after the main show. It showed unseen footage, including video diaries shot by the hoteliers, revealing their reactions to the inspector's opinions.
After three series of The Hotel Inspector, Ruth Watson left a message on her website stating that she would not be filming another series, despite being one of the channel's most watched shows. Watson subsequently signed an exclusive contract with Channel 4 and fronted shows such as Country House Rescue and Ruth Watson's Hotel Rescue (which is similar in format to The Hotel Inspector).
The hotelier Alex Polizzi, niece of Sir Rocco Forte, took over as The Hotel Inspector for the show's fourth series. When announcing Polizzi's new BBC show in July 2011, an article in The Daily Telegraph suggested that series 8 would be her last. However, in April 2012, it was confirmed that a ninth series, with Polizzi, had been ordered. The ninth series of The Hotel Inspector commenced on July 5, 2012 at 21:00.
The format of the The Hotel Inspector has since been used twice for other series for Channel 5, both of which recreate the concept of an expert visiting and suggesting improvements for failing commercial ventures. In March 2010, The Business Inspector was broadcast, starring Hilary Devey, who advised struggling small businesses on how to become successful. In June 2011, The Restaurant Inspector was broadcast, starring Fernando Peire, who advised struggling restaurants on how to achieve higher profits, with a second series which broadcast in 2012.
- Dowell, Ben (28 November 2007). "Watson checks in to Channel 4". theguardian.com. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Tryhorn, Chris (24 January 2008). "Polizzi checks in as new Hotel Inspector". theguardian.com. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- "Hotel Inspector Alex Polizzi poached by BBC for new show". The Daily Telegraph. 1 July 2011. Retrieved 18 September 2013.
- Neilan, Catherine (27 April 2012). "C5 orders more Hotel Inspector". Broadcast. Retrieved 18 September 2013. (subscription required)
- Miller, Julie (10 June 2013). "The Hotel Inspector Returns". Channel 5 (Northern & Shell). Retrieved 19 June 2013.
- Anderson, Kelly (5 July 2013). "Renewed and returning: "The Hotel Inspector," "Yukon Gold"". realscreen. Retrieved 27 August 2013.