The Hottie and the Nottie
|The Hottie and the Nottie|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Tom Putnam|
|Produced by||Myles Nestel
|Written by||Heidi Ferrer|
Joel David Moore
|Music by||David E. Russo|
|Edited by||Jeff Malmberg|
|Distributed by||Regent Releasing|
|Running time||91 minutes|
The Hottie and The Nottie (stylized as The Hottie & The Nottie) is a 2008 American romantic comedy film starring Paris Hilton, Joel David Moore, and Christine Lakin. Written by Heidi Ferrer and directed by Tom Putnam, the film began shooting in January 2007 and was released theatrically on February 8, 2008.
Nate Cooper is unable to get it together with women. But he also cannot forget his first crush, the tall, attractive, blonde Cristabel Abbott, from their time in elementary school. Nate sets out for the beaches of California and meets up with his geeky best friend Arno, whose mother has an unnatural amount of information about Cristabel, and perhaps an unusual relationship with her son.
Cristabel jogs on the beach every day with many suitors trying to catch her eye, including an albino stalker. But she's still single, and there is a reason: Cristabel is still best friends with the same short, unattractive brunette girl whom Nate also knew in elementary school, June Phigg.
Nate reintroduces himself to Cristabel and they hit it off. However, Cristabel refuses to go on a date with Nate unless June has a date as well. Nate sets out to find a boyfriend for June, but guys recoil at the sight of her. One day at the Santa Monica Pier, Johann Wulrich, an attractive dentist who works as a part-time model, appears in their lives. He seems to want to do a makeover on June when he apparently sees her inner beauty. However, Nate believes that Johann is a threat to his shot for Cristabel, since Johann is almost perfect. Eventually, with June dating Johann, Cristabel finally begins dating Nate, per his original plan.
Over the next few weeks, as Nate and June become friends and she emerges from her cocoon, with her face and appearance transforming into that of an attractive woman whose beauty begins to compare with Cristabel, Nate slowly realizes that June may be the girl of his dreams. Nate tells this to Cristabel, who is happy for June. Nate then tries to find June, and finds her, telling her how he feels.
- Paris Hilton as Cristabel Abbott
- Karley Scott Collins as young Cristabel
- Joel David Moore as Nate Cooper
- Caleb Guss as young Nate
- Christine Lakin as June Phigg
- Alessandra Daniele as young June
- The Greg Wilson as Arno Blount
- Kurt Doss as young Arno
- Marianne Muellerleile as Mrs. Blount
- Johann Urb as Johann Wulrich
- Scott Prendergast as Randy ("Creepy Albino Stalker")
- Morgan Rusler as Stan ("Marry Me" Guy)
- Adam Kulbersh as Cole Slawsen
- Kathryn Fiore as Jane
Opening on February 8, 2008, The Hottie and the Nottie grossed $9,000 on opening day, and it went on to earn $27,696 on its opening weekend, each theater averaging $249. The Houston Chronicle determined that, based on average ticket prices, this represented an average of 35 people per theatre on its opening weekend, or an average of five per showing. In the end, the film grossed $1,596,232 worldwide.
For its release in the United Kingdom, the film was advertised as "The Number One Film", with small print revealing its being number 1 on the Internet Movie Database's Bottom 100. The film opened at number 32 and grossed $34,231 in 28 theaters in the UK.
The film received near-universally negative reviews from critics. Review aggregator website Rotten Tomatoes reported that 4% of critics gave the film positive reviews, based on 67 reviews, concluding that "The Hottie and the Nottie is a crass, predictable, and ineptly staged gross-out comedy that serves little purpose beyond existing as another monument to Paris Hilton's vanity." Metacritic reported the film had an average score of 7 out of 100, based on 18 reviews — indicating "overwhelming dislike."
IGN gave it a zero-star review, noting that the film "presents a problem because there are just no words to adequately express how clumsy, trite and deeply offensive it is from start to finish." Rolling Stone film critic Peter Travers gave the film a half-star rating, saying that the half-star was because "it takes guts (or gross dim-wittedness) [for Hilton] to appear on screen again after House of Wax." Nathan Lee of The Village Voice called it "crass, shrill, disingenuous, tawdry, mean-spirited, vulgar, idiotic, boring, slapdash, half-assed, and very, very unfunny."  Online film critic James Berardinelli described the film's comedy as "about as funny as the anal rape scene in The War Zone". Richard Roeper called the film "excruciatingly, painfully, horribly, terribly awful," and argued that "nobody in this movie really should have a career in movies". BBC reviewer Mark Kermode called it "a fascist eugenic tract...it's disgusting".
John Anderson of Newsday, while panning the film, was one of a handful of critics to see merit in it. He gave the film two out of four stars and concluded that "The Hottie and the Nottie is no worse in many ways than a lot of teen-centric comedies, which generally appeal to their audience through cruelty and vulgarity."
Awards and nominations
|Razzie Award||Worst Actress||Paris Hilton||Won|
|Worst Screen Couple||Won|
|Joel David Moore||Won|
|Worst Screenplay||Heidi Ferrer||Nominated|
|Worst Picture||Hadeel Reda||Nominated|
|Worst Director||Tom Putnam||Nominated|
- "THE HOTTIE AND THE NOTTIE (12A)". British Board of Film Classification. January 16, 2008. Retrieved November 9, 2014.
- "The Hottie & the Nottie (2008)". Box Office Mojo. 2008-02-10. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "Paris Hilton's Film: Not So 'Hottie'", People Magazine, February 9, 2008
- "The Hottie & the Nottie (2008) - Weekend Box Office Results". Box Office Mojo. Retrieved February 26, 2008.
- The Houston Chronicle, p. E1, February 11, 2008
- "THE HOTTIE & THE NOTTIE".
- "The Hottie & the Nottie - Movie Reviews, Trailers, Pictures - Rotten Tomatoes". Rotten Tomatoes. Archived from the original on 2008-01-28. Retrieved 2008-02-08.
- "Hottie and the Nottie, The (2008): Reviews". Metacritic. Retrieved 2014-09-25.
- "Hottie and the Nottie, The (2008): Reviews". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 2008-12-08.
- Nathan Lee (2008-01-29). "Village Voice Review". Villagevoice.com. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "James Berardinelli review". Reelviews.net. 2007-05-13. Retrieved 2012-12-06.
- "The 100 Worst Movies of 2008". The Times (London). 2007-10-23. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- "Today's Ten: Worst Movies Of 2008". New York Post. Retrieved 2008-12-03.[dead link]
- Whitty, Stephen (2007-12-27). "Worst films Of 2008: 10 films to forget". The Star-Ledger. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- Morgan, James (2009-01-02). "The Worst Movies of 2008 - Part 5". The Tart. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- Pais, Matt (2007-12-11). "Worst movies of 2008". Metromix. Retrieved 2009-01-03.
- The Hottie and the Nottie at the Internet Movie Database
- The Hottie and the Nottie at Box Office Mojo
- The Hottie and the Nottie at Rotten Tomatoes
- The Hottie and the Nottie at Metacritic