The Hundred in the Hands
|The Hundred in the Hands|
The Hundred in the Hands, June 2011
|Origin||Brooklyn, New York, U.S.|
|Genres||Synthpop, indietronica, indie rock, indie pop, dream pop, post-punk revival|
|Associated acts||The Boggs, TV on the Radio, Andy Stott|
The Hundred in the Hands (sometimes abbreviated as THITH) is an American electronic music duo from Brooklyn, New York City, formed in 2008. The band consists of Eleanore Everdell (vocals, keyboards) and Jason Friedman (guitar, programming). The band was named after the phrase the Lakota Nation gave to the 1866 Fetterman Fight in Wyoming, in which Crazy Horse led his warriors to a victory that resulted in the death of 100 enemies.
The band blends synthpop with post-punk and dream pop elements. They were influenced by artists such as Young Marble Giants, Wire, New Order, The Cure, De La Soul, Buddy Holly, Broadcast, Gang Gang Dance, and LCD Soundsystem.
Friedman graduated from an art school in New York City. He also was the guitarist, singer, and songwriter of the indie rock band The Boggs. Everdell went to classical music school and studied opera. In 2007, singer Holly Miranda introduced Everdell to Friedman. Everdell joined The Boggs as a touring member. The two decided to form a band after they discovered that they shared similar music taste for early hip hop, French house, disco, ska, dub, post-punk and other genres.
They recorded the song "Dressed in Dresden" in Brooklyn, which was released online in December 2008. In March 2009 the band released the single "Dressed in Dresden"/"Undressed in Dresden" on the Pure Groove label. The success of this song led to a deal with Warp Records in August 2009, which Friedman calls "near the top of my list of ideal labels". Warp issued the 12" single "Dressed in Dresden" on April 5, 2009.
The duo's six-track debut EP This Desert was released on May 18, 2010, followed by the singles "Pigeons" on September 13, 2010 and "Commotion"/"Aggravation" on November 15, 2010. Their debut album The Hundred in the Hands was released on September 20, 2010 by Warp Records. The album received generally favorable reviews, with a Metacritic score of 74, based on 13 reviews. The song "Pigeons" was featured in the third episode of the fifth season of Gossip Girl, "The Jewel of Denial", originally aired October 10, 2011.
In January 2011, The Hundred in the Hands was nominated in the Pop/Rock category at The 10th Annual Independent Music Awards for their self-titled album, while their music video for "Pigeons" was nominated in the Music Video, Short Form category.
The duo's second studio album, Red Night, was released on June 11, 2012.
- The duo runs their own online magazine, THITH ZINE, where they "write about, and talk with, bands, artists and designers we like".
- Everdell sang on "Lover's Day" from TV on the Radio's 2008 album Dear Science.
In the group's live performances, Friedman uses a Rickenbacker 330 guitar and Everdell uses a microKORG. They toured in the US and Europe. The Hundred in the Hands performed live at several music festivals, including La Route du Rock, the Wireless Festival, the Melt! Festival, the Dockville, the Appletree Garden Festival and the Bootboohook Festival
- The Hundred in the Hands (2010)
- Red Night (2012)
- This Desert (2010)
- "Dressed in Dresden" (2008)
- "Dressed in Dresden"/"Undressed in Dresden" (2009)
- "Pigeons" (2010)
- "Commotion"/"Aggravation" (2010)
- "Keep It Low" (2012)
- "Tom Tom" (directed by Ben Crook)
- "Pigeons" (directed by Daniels)
- "Commotion" (directed by Daniels)
- Hoffberger, Chase (December 7, 2010). "The Hundred In The Hands leads New York's European dance-pop revolution". New York Press. Manhattan Media. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "New Warp signings Hundred in the Hands talk to FACT". FACT. The Vinyl Factory. March 26, 2010. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Phares, Heather. "The Hundred in the Hands". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. Retrieved October 29, 2011.
- Pan, Tonya (July 13, 2011). "Interview: The Hundred in the Hands". Sounds & Skin. Retrieved July 27, 2011.
- "THE HUNDRED IN THE HANDS Interview". waller not weller. August 19, 2010. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "The Hundred in the Hands". Sacks and Co. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "The Hundred in the Hands sign to Warp!". thehundredinthehands.com. August 6, 2009. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Lipshutz, Jason S (May 24, 2010). "The Hundred in the Hands Get 'Crisper' on Debut LP". Spinner. AOL. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "The Hundred in the Hands – The Hundred in the Hands". Metacritic. CBS Interactive. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- Theo. "Gossip Girl Playlist: Music from Episode 5.03, "The Jewel of Denial"". Gossip Girl. Alloy Entertainment. Retrieved November 25, 2012.
- "The Hundred in the Hands". Independent Music Awards. February 15, 2011. Retrieved July 6, 2011.
- "10th Annual Independent Music Awards Nominees Announced!". Independent Music Awards. February 15, 2011. Retrieved October 31, 2011.
- "The Hundred In The Hands: Red Night". Warp. Retrieved June 14, 2012.
- "About". thehundredinthehands.com. Retrieved July 4, 2011.
- "The Hundred In The Hands". Clash. Retrieved July 4, 2011.