The Icarus Agenda
The Icarus Agenda first edition cover.
|February 22, 1988|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
|Pages||677 pp (first edition)|
|LC Class||PS3562.U26 I24 1988b|
Evan Kendrick is a U.S. Congressman from a remote Western Colorado district. As a former building contractor in the Middle East, he is close friends with the Sultan of Oman. He returns to Oman under deep cover when the U.S. Embassy in Masqat is taken by terrorists. During his time undercover he unmasks a far-reaching terror network aimed at controlling the economies and governments of the Middle East.
A few years before, a tragic "accident" left him with 78 fewer friends. The only loved-one left was Emmanuel "Manny" Weingrass, a world-renowned architect and a somewhat impossible person. In his first year in Congress, there is an uprising in Masqat - a hostage taking. The events remind him of a man known as The Mahdi whom Weingrass said was the reason for the deaths of his 78 friends. He goes to Oman for revenge and comes back victorious. The Mahdi dead and a tragedy averted. A year later, the inheritors of Inver Brass - the resurrected group of influential people, destroyed in the events of the Chancellor Manuscript, who had been tracking him ever since he went on the Oman operation through a specially gifted ICT specialist, exposes the truth of Kendrick being involved in Masqat and they reveal this to the world to have Kendrick as Vice-President of the USA, because they consider him to be morally incorruptible. After the revealing, lives are lost and friendships broken, Kendrick is desperately looking for the people who are responsible for turning his life upside-down. But unknown to the Inver Brass there is a traitor in their midst... and this might just be the last straw... Codename Icarus is the last hope to a nation and to a world. The organisation was first mentioned in his 1977 novel The Chancellor Manuscript and is also mentioned in his later novel The Bancroft Strategy.
Characters in "The Icarus Agenda"
- Evan Kendrick – US congressman and main protagonist
- Emmanuel "Manny" Weingrass – architect
- The Mahdi
- The Sultan of Oman
- Harry Burns is reading this book in the film When Harry Met Sally... when Sally calls him on the phone about her ex-boyfriend getting married.
- 1988, US, Random House ISBN 0-394-54397-1, Pub date February 22, 1988, Hardback
- 1988, US, Bantam Books ISBN 0-553-17326-X, Pub date March 1, 1988, Paperback
- 1988, UK, Grafton ISBN 0-246-12574-8 Pub date March 24, 1988, Hardback
- 1989, UK, Grafton ISBN 0-586-06455-9 Paperback
- 1998, UK, HarperCollins ISBN 0-586-06455-9, Pub date June 15, 1998, Paperback
|This article about a thriller novel of the 1980s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|