The Image (novel)
|Author||Jean de Berg|
|Publisher||Gala (French version)
Grove Press (English version)
|1956 (Eng. trans. June 1966)|
|Media type||Print (Hardback & Paperback)|
The Image (or in French "L'Image") is a classic 1956 sadomasochistic erotic novel, written by Catherine Robbe-Grillet and published under the pseudonym of Jean de Berg by éditions de Minuit in 1956.
The Image is centred on a triangular relationship between the male narrator and two women, Anne and Claire. The narrator is puzzled by the meaning of their behavior throughout, gradually accumulating clues which only make full sense in the closing chapter, when Anne is revealed as the mirror image of the woman he actually loves, Claire.
- P. M. Cryle. Geometry in the Boudoir: Configurations of French Erotic Narrative. Cornell University Press (3 Jun 1994) ISBN 0-8014-2913-7
- Rotten Tomatoes review: The Image (1973)
- Edmund White, Arts and Letters (2006) p. 166
- Susan Sontag, 'The Pornographic Imagination', in George Battaile, Story of the Eye (2001) p. 84-6
- Susan Sontag, 'The Pornographic Imagination', in George Battaile, Story of the Eye (2001) p. 109-10
|This BDSM-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a 1950s novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about an erotic novel is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|