The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing
|Release date(s)||22 May 2013|
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing is an action role-playing video game developed by the Hungarian independent development studio NeocoreGames. Based on the novel Dracula by Bram Stoker, the game focuses on the trials of young Van Helsing, son of the legendary vampire hunter Abraham Van Helsing from the book. The game is set in a gothic-noir 19th-century Eastern Europe and contains "intentionally anachronistic humor and gadgetry". A sequel, The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing II, was released on 22 May 2014.
The game is based on Bram Stoker's tale of Count Dracula, similar to how the developer's earlier role-playing game King Arthur was based on the tale of King Arthur. The game is not set strictly in the same fictional universe as Bram Stoker's novel Dracula, but rather a similar one in a twisted 19th century Europe with "monsters, magic and weird technology". The game takes place in Borgova, the gothic-noir capital of the fictional kingdom of Borgovia. The city is vast, bolstered by anachronistic science, but also filled with evil creatures that this science has created. The game's protagonist is the son of Abraham Van Helsing, the vampire hunter from the novel, and it is his job to continue in his father's footsteps and exterminate the monsters from the city.
On 9 May 2012, independent developer NeocoreGames announced the entry of a their new project: an action role-playing game titled The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing. The title was developed for the PC and the Xbox 360's Xbox Live Arcade platform. The developers also announced at Gamescom 2012 that the game is planned to be part of a trilogy.
In October 2012, after receiving feedback from the gamer community that the depiction of the young Van Helsing appeared "too young and inexperienced", NeocoreGames held a vote to decide which of three possible versions of the main character would be used in the game: The Mysterious Stranger, The Chevalier, or The Veteran (see picture at left). Receiving 72% of the vote, The Mysterious Stranger depiction was chosen to be used for the young Van Helsing.
- Walker, John (4 July 2012). "Monstrous: The Incredible Adventures Of Van Helsing". Rock, Paper, Shotgun. Retrieved 15 Dec 2012.
- "IGN - New Van Helsing Game Announced". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Developer Blog - Basic info and feature list". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Developer Blog - Who is Van Helsing, anyway?". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Developer Blog - The gothic-noir metropolis of Borgova". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "TriplePoint Newsroom - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing Announced for PC and XBLA". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Digital Spy - The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing to be a trilogy". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Developer Blog - Voting started". Retrieved 1 December 2012.
- "Developer Blog - Voting is closed". Retrieved 1 December 2012.