The Index (Dubai)
|Architectural||326 metres (1,070 ft)|
|Top floor||322 metres (1,056 ft)|
|Floor area||170,400 square metres (1,834,170 sq ft)|
|Design and construction|
|Architect||Foster and Partners|
|Structural engineer||Halvorson and Partners|
The Index is a 328 m (1,076 ft) tall, 80-storey skyscraper in Dubai, United Arab Emirates. Of the 80 floors, the lower 25 are to be offices and 47 will be for residential use. The tower is oriented exactly along the east-west axis so that the eastern and western concrete cores shelter the floors from the harsh, desert sun and the climatic effects of the area. The concrete cores shelter the building from the low angle, highly penetrating morning and evening sun leaving only the South facade exposed to the high angle, low penetrating midday sun. The south-facing facade utilizes extensive sun shades to lower solar gain.
The Index is one of the first towers in the region to intelligently embrace its climatic surrounding environment within its fundamental design principles. The tower's environmental strategy significantly lowers the requirement for air conditioning within the building and therefore substantially reduces the energy costs for its tenants. During the height of the summer, without air conditioning, the tower's internal temperatures will not surpass 28 degrees Celsius.
In June 2011, The Index Tower was the recipient of the 2011 Best Tall Building Middle East & Africa award by the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
- "The Index - The Skyscraper Center". Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat.
- "The Index". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 2007-09-26. Unknown parameter
- "Union Properties: The Index". Retrieved 2007-10-10.
- "Halvorson and Partners". Retrieved 2007-01-04.
- "The Index". Emporis.com. Retrieved 2007-09-26.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to The Index.|
- The Index UP.AE
- The Index on CTBUH Skyscraper Center
- Union Properties: The Index
- Foster + Partners - Projects - The Index