The International Jew
|Part of a series on|
Part of Jewish history
|First publication of The Protocols|
|Writers, editors, and publishers associated with The Protocols|
|Debunkers of The Protocols|
|Commentaries on The Protocols|
In Spring 1920, Henry Ford made his personal newspaper The Dearborn Independent chronicle what he considered the "Jewish Menace". Every week for 91 issues, the paper exposed some sort of Jewish-inspired evil major story in a headline. The most popular and aggressive stories were then chosen to be reprinted into four volumes called the "International Jew".
It is to be distinguished from The International Jew: The World's Problem which was the headline in The Dearborn Independent and is the name of a collection of articles serialized in The Dearborn Independent. It is also to be distinguished from the title of the first volume of the series, namely The International Jew, The World's Foremost Problem (note the absence or presence of the word "Foremost" as the distinguishing mark in the subtitle).
At the Nuremberg Trials, Baldur von Schirach mentioned that The International Jew made a deep impression on him and his friends in their youth and influenced them in becoming antisemitic. He said: "... we saw in Henry Ford the representative of success, also the exponent of a progressive social policy. In the poverty-stricken and wretched Germany of the time, youth looked toward America, and apart from the great benefactor, Herbert Hoover, it was Henry Ford who to us represented America." In 1922, The New York Times reported that Adolf Hitler's office contained a large picture of Ford. A well-thumbed copy of the International Jew was found in his library.
- 1 Content
- 2 1927 libel suit
- 3 The Patriotic Publishing Co.
- 4 G. F. Green and the Christian Nationalist Crusade
- 5 Secondary sources
- 6 See also
- 7 References
- 8 External links
|This section requires expansion. (April 2009)|
After publication in the periodical, the articles were compiled into a four volume set as follows:
Volume 1: The International Jew: The World's Foremost Problem (1920)
- The Jew in Character and Business
- Germany's Reaction Against the Jew
- Jewish History in the United States
- The Jewish Question—Fact or Fancy?
- Anti-Semitism—Will It Appear in the U.S.?
- Jewish Question Breaks Into the Magazines
- Arthur Brisbane Leaps to the Help of Jewry
- Does a Definite Jewish World Program Exist?
- The Historic Basis of Jewish Imperialism
- An Introduction to the "Jewish Protocols"
- "Jewish" Estimate of Gentile Human Nature
- "Jewish Protocols" Claim Partial Fulfillment
- "Jewish" Plan to Split Society by "Ideas"
- Did the Jews Foresee the World War?
- Is the Jewish "Kahal" the Modern "Soviet"?
- How the "Jewish Question" Touches the Farm
- Does Jewish Power Control the World Press?
- Does This Explain Jewish Political Power?
- The All-Jewish Mark on "Red Russia"
- Jewish Testimony in Favor of Bolshevism
Volume 2: Jewish Activities in the United States (1921)
- How Jews in the U.S. Conceal Their Strength
- Jewish Testimony on "Are Jews a Nation?"
- Jew Versus Non-Jew in New York Finance
- The High and Low of Jewish Money Power
- "Disraeli of America"—A Jew of Super-Power
- The Scope of Jewish Dictatorship in the U.S.
- Jewish Copper Kings Reap Rich War-Profits
- Jewish Control of the American Theater
- The Rise of the First Jewish Theatrical Trust
- How Jews Capitalized a Protest Against Jews
- The Jewish Aspect of the "Movie" Problem
- Jewish Supremacy in Motion Picture World
- Rule of the Jewish Kehillah Grips New York
- The Jewish Demand for "Rights" in America
- "Jewish Rights" Clash With American Rights
- "Jewish Rights" to Put Studies Out of Schools
- Disraeli—British Premier, Portrays the Jews
- Taft Once Tried to Resist Jews—and Failed
- When Editors Were Independent of the Jews
- Why the Jews Dislike the Morgenthau Report
- Jews Use the Peace Conference to Bind Poland
Volume 3: Jewish Influence in American Life (1921)
- The Jews and the "Religious Persecution" Cry
- Are the Jews Victims or Persecutors?
- Jewish Gamblers Corrupt American Baseball
- Jewish Degradation of American Baseball
- Jewish Jazz Becomes Our National Music
- How the Jewish Song Trust Makes You Sing
- Jewish Hot-Beds of Bolshevism in the U.S.
- Jew Trades Link With World Revolutionaries
- Will Jewish Zionism Bring Armageddon?
- How the Jews Use Power—By an Eyewitness
- How Jews Ruled and Ruined Tammany Hall
- Jew Wires Direct Tammany's Gentile Puppets
- B'nai B'rith Leader Discusses the Jews
- Dr. Levy, a Jew, Admits His People's Error
- Jewish Idea in American Monetary Affairs
- Jewish Idea Molded Federal Reserve Plan
- Jewish Idea of Central Bank for America
- How Jewish International Finance Functions
- Jewish Power and America's Money Famine
Volume 4: Aspects of Jewish Power in the United States (1922)
- How Jews Gained American Liquor Control
- Gigantic Jewish Liquor Trust and Its Career
- The Jewish Element in Bootlegging Evil
- Angles of Jewish Influence in American Life
- The Jews' Complaint Against "Americanism"
- The Jewish Associates of Benedict Arnold
- Benedict Arnold and Jewish Aid in Shady Deal
- Arnold and His Jewish Aids at West Point
- The Gentle Art of Changing Jewish Names
- Jewish "Kol Nidre" and "Eli, Eli" Explained
- Jews as New York Magistrates See Them
- Jews Are Silent, the National Voice Is Heard
- What Jews Attempted Where They Had Power
- The Jewish Question in Current Testimony
- America's Jewish Enigma—Louis Marshall
- The Economic Plans of International Jews
- A Jew Sees His People As Others See Them
- Candid Address to Jews on the Jewish Problem
- An Address to "Gentiles" on the Jewish Problem
1927 libel suit
A libel lawsuit, brought by San Francisco lawyer and Jewish farm cooperative organizer Aaron Sapiro in response to antisemitic remarks, led Ford to close the Independent in December 1927. News reports at the time quoted him as being shocked by the content and having been unaware of its nature. During the trial, the editor of Ford's "Own Page", William John Cameron, testified that Ford had nothing to do with the editorials even though they were under his byline. Cameron testified at the libel trial that he never discussed the content of the pages or sent them to Ford for his approval.
Investigative journalist Max Wallace noted that "whatever credibility this absurd claim may have had was soon undermined when James M. Miller, a former Dearborn Independent employee, swore under oath that Ford had told him he intended to expose Sapiro. According to Michael Barkun, "That Cameron would have continued to publish such controversial material without Ford's explicit instructions seemed unthinkable to those who knew both men. Mrs. Stanley Ruddiman, a Ford family intimate, remarked that "I don't think Mr. Cameron ever wrote anything for publication without Mr. Ford's approval".
The Patriotic Publishing Co.
In 1934, The Patriotic Publishing Co., an unincorporated entity that operated out of a post office box  "Issued" and "Compiled and edited" The Protocols as an expanded 300-page tome. The expansion from less than 100 pages to 300 pages was made possible by copying substantial sections from The Dearborn Independent. Most of the later imprints of the Protocols are derived from this 1934 edition.
G. F. Green and the Christian Nationalist Crusade
In June 1949 there appeared a 174-page, one-volume abridgment of the text, titled The International Jew, subtitled "The World's Foremost Problem", and edited by George F. Green (who is not to be confused with the novelist and short-story writer of the same name). It was published by Green, editor of The Independent Nationalist  with the address at 56 Gloucester Road, New Barnet, Herts, England.
- Ford R. Bryan, Henry's Lieutenants (Detroit: Wayne State University Press, 1993) ISBN 0-8143-2428-2 (paper)
- Albert Lee, Henry Ford and the Jews (New York: Stein and Day, 1980) ISBN 0-8128-2701-5
- Max Wallace, The American Axis: Henry Ford, Charles Lindbergh, and the Rise of the Third Reich (New York: St. Martin's Press, 2003) ISBN 0-312-29022-5
- Neil Baldwin, Henry Ford and the Jews: The Mass Production of Hate (PublicAffairs, 2000); ISBN 1-58648-163-0
- Zionist Occupation Government
- Protocols of Zion (film)
- New World Order (conspiracy theory)
- Psychological warfare
- Albert Lee, Henry Ford and the Jews (New York, Stein and Day, 1980), 14
- http://avalon.law.yale.edu/imt/05-23-46.asp Nuremberg Trial Proceedings Vol. 14, 137. Thursday, 23 May 1946
- Ryback, T. W. (2008) Hitler's Private Library: the books that shaped his life. New York: Knopf; p. 69
- The International Jew. The World's Foremost Problem. Being a Reprint of a Series of Articles Appearing in The Dearborn Independent from May 22 ... 1920 [to January 14, 1922] Dearborn, Mich. Dearborn Publishing Co., 1920-1922
- Lewis, (1976) pp. 140-156; Baldwin p 220-221.
- Wallace, p. 30.
- Barkun, Michael (1996). Religion and the Racist Right: The Origins of the Christian Identity Movement. UNC Press. ISBN 0-8078-4638-4, p. 35.
- P.O. Box 526, Chicago, IL
- The International Jew Arabic edition. Publisher: Dar al-Fadhilah, Cairo, Egypt. Translator: Ali al-Gawhari. The International Jew: a commercial success in Egypt
- Carlson, John Roy (1951). Cairo to Damascus. Knopf. p. 37.
- Macklin, Graham (2007). Very Deeply Dyed in Back: Sir Oswald Mosley and the Resurrection of British Fascism After 1945. London: I.B. Taurus. p. 106. ISBN 978-1-84511-284-4.
- Bernard Glassman (2003). Benjamin Disraeli: The Fabricated Jew in Myth and Memory. University Press of America. p. 189. ISBN 978-0-7618-2540-1.
- Elof Axel Carlson (2001). The Unfit: A History of a Bad Idea. CSHL Press. p. 312. ISBN 978-0-87969-587-3.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- The New York Public Library, Catalog Record 
- Statement by Henry Ford pamphlet issued by American Jewish Committee
- The International Jew - The World's Foremost Problem complete four volumes at The Internet Archive