The Invaders (The Twilight Zone)
|The Twilight Zone episode|
|Episode no.||Season 2
|Directed by||Douglas Heyes|
|Written by||Richard Matheson|
|Featured music||Original score by Jerry Goldsmith|
|Original air date||January 27, 1961|
"The Invaders" is episode fifteen in season two of the American television anthology series The Twilight Zone. It was directed by Douglas Heyes, written by Richard Matheson, scored by Jerry Goldsmith, and originally aired January 27, 1961.
An old woman (Agnes Moorehead) lives alone in a rustic cabin. She is dressed shabbily, and there are no modern conveniences in evidence. After hearing a strange noise above her kitchen roof, she is accosted by small intruders that come from a miniature flying saucer that has landed on her roof. Two tiny robotic figures, only about six inches high, emerge from the craft.
She battles them for many minutes, finally killing one and following the other back to the ship, which she proceeds to attack with a hatchet. From within the craft, she hears a voice speaking in English with an apparent American accent (voiced by Director Douglas Heyes). One of the intruders is frantically warning other potential visitors that the people on the planet are giants and impossible to defeat. The woman finishes her destruction of the ship, which is quiet now, and collapses, exhausted. (Prior to this scene, the episode has no dialogue.)
The camera pans to the markings on the side of the ship, which read U.S. Air Force Space Probe No. 1 – revealing that the "invaders" were human astronauts from Earth and the "woman" in the small farmhouse is really a member of a race of giant humanoids native to another planet.
- "Third from the Sun", a Twilight Zone episode in which two families flee their planet on the verge of a nuclear war
- List of The Twilight Zone episodes
- Disambiguation pages
- Zicree, Marc Scott. The Twilight Zone Companion. Sillman-James Press, 1982 (second edition)
- DeVoe, Bill. (2008). Trivia from The Twilight Zone. Albany, GA: Bear Manor Media. ISBN 978-1-59393-136-0
- Grams, Martin. (2008). The Twilight Zone: Unlocking the Door to a Television Classic. Churchville, MD: OTR Publishing. ISBN 978-0-9703310-9-0
- Twilight Zone episode, "The Invaders"
- "The Invaders". Hulu.com. Free online episode.
- "The Invaders" at the Internet Movie Database
- "The Twilight Zone episode page: 'The Invaders'". TV.com. Provides episode details and summarization, relevant and interesting trivia, and a free online episode.
- "The Twilight Zone season 2". The Classic TV Archive.