The Jacksons (album)
|Studio album by The Jacksons|
|Released||November 27, 1976|
|Recorded||June – October 1976
at Sigma Sound Studios, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
|Genre||Soul, funk, Philadelphia soul|
Philadelphia International Records
|Producer||Kenneth Gamble & Leon Huff
McFadden & Whitehead
|The Jacksons chronology|
|Singles from The Jacksons|
The Jacksons is the 10th album by The Jacksons, the band's first for CBS, following their seven-year tenure on Motown as "The Jackson 5". Jackson 5 member Jermaine Jackson stayed with Motown when his brothers broke their contracts and defected to CBS; he was replaced by youngest Jackson brother Randy. The album was released in 1976 for Epic Records and Philadelphia International Records as a joint venture.
|The Rolling Stone Album Guide|||
Philadelphia International heads Kenneth Gamble and Leon Huff produced and executive produced the album, including their first top ten hit in two years "Enjoy Yourself", but had a difficult time focusing on a sound for the now-grown-up boy band. However, the group was able for the first time to write their own material, something that had been denied to them at Motown. The Jacksons composed "Style of Life" and "Blues Away" on their own. "Blues Away" was the first published song written by lead singer Michael Jackson, who began to take a more percussive vocal approach beginning with this album. This album also spawned the second R&B single "Show You the Way to Go". The album itself placed #36 and #6 on the pop and R&B album charts respectively.
The album was the Jacksons' first gold album, despite their having sold more than 10 million albums while at Motown. (Motown's sales and financial records were never presented for auditing by the RIAA until 1976).
- "Enjoy Yourself" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 3:24
- "Think Happy" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 3:07
- "Good Times" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 4:57
- "Keep on Dancing" (Dexter Wansel) – 4:31
- "Blues Away" (Michael Jackson) – 3:12
- "Show You the Way to Go" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 5:30
- "Living Together" (Dexter Wansel) – 4:26
- "Strength of One Man" (Gene McFadden, John Whitehead, Victor Carstarphen) – 3:56
- "Dreamer" (Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff) – 3:05
- "Style of Life" (Tito Jackson, Michael Jackson) – 3:19
1-3, 6, 9 - Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff
4, 7 - Dexter Wansel
5, 10 - Gamble, Leon Huff, Wansel, the Jacksons, Gene McFadden and John Whitehead
8 - McFadden, Whitehead and Victor Carstarphen 
Michael leads the tracks 4–6 and 9–10 on his own, while he and his brother, Jackie, leads the vocals on tracks 1–3 and 7. All the brothers (except Tito) sang together in the track 8.
|Billboard Pop Albums||36|
|Billboard Top Soul Albums||6|
|U.S. Billboard Hot 100||U.S. R&B|
|1977||"Show You the Way to Go"||28||6|
- Elias, Jason. The Jacksons: The Jacksons > Review at AllMusic. Retrieved 03 October 2011.
- "The Jacksons US albums chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-03.
- "The Jacksons US singles chart history". allmusic.com. Retrieved 2011-10-03.