The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones
|The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones|
|Written by||Don Nelson
|Directed by||Don Lusk|
Jean Vander Pyl
|Country of origin||United States|
|Executive producer(s)||William Hanna
|Original airing||October 1987|
The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones is an animated TV movie, featuring the first meeting between the characters from The Flintstones and The Jetsons. Made by Hanna-Barbera, as part of the Hanna-Barbera Superstars 10 series.
While Elroy Jetson is busy working on a time machine, George is ordered to come to Mr. Spacely's office for a discussion. Spacely's business rival, Cogswell, has been stealing Spacely's business ideas under his nose; blaming George for the problem, Spacely orders George to go spy on Cogswell. George finds out that Cogswell's new robot computer, S.A.R.A, has been seducing the Spacely robot computer, R.U.D.I., into leaking Spacely's secrets to her. George tries to go tell Spacely, but R.U.D.I won't let him.
Thousands of years in the past, Wilma and Betty are trying to convince Fred to have their vacation in Honolurock. Fred, wise to their plan, ignores their advances and, while at the quarry, tells Barney that he plans to take the girls someplace even better. Mr. Slate wants him and Barney to work a late shift, but instead they go to a poker game, hoping to use the winnings to go on holiday. Slate is also at the poker game, thinking they are working, so Fred tries disguising himself. Unfortunately Fred loses to Slate, and he and Barney are exposed, so Slate fires them.
Back in the future, Elroy finishes his time machine. George doesn't believe it really works, until Elroy demonstrates it. The Jetsons decide to use it to take a trip to the 25th century. Right before Elroy gets the machine working, his dog Astro accidentally sets the switch to "Past".
With no job, the Flintstones and Rubbles are forced to settle for a camping holiday, and without food, as Dino has stowed away and eaten all the food they packed. As Fred and Barney are trying to set the tent up, the Jetsons arrive from the future. Initially mistaking each other for aliens, Fred and George eventually communicate and the families become fast friends. Fred, is amazed by George's futuristic gadgets and decides to use them to help Mr. Slate at the competitions at the upcoming company picnic. At the picnic, Fred introduces George to Mr. Slate, claiming George is a distant cousin. Mr. Slate is reluctant at first to trust George, but since Mr. Tarpit's cheating has set him back in the competitions, Slate accepts their help in exchange for giving them their jobs back. George and Fred use George's gadgets to win the events. Unfortunately, during the last event, which consists of catching a "pigasaurus" in the mud, Astro and Dino's continued chase scares the pigasaurus enough for it to jump into Tarpit's hands, making Tarpit the winner of the picnic. Enraged, Mr. Slate fires Fred and Barney again.
While Mr. Spacely continues to vent over his failing business, Henry and Rosie the Robot Maid assemble a time machine retriever to bring the Jetsons back. When they get it to work, the time machine returns but with the Flintstones and the Rubbles inside instead of the Jetsons. At first, Henry, Rosie, and Mac mistake the newcomers for the Jetsons, and so does Mr. Spacely. But upon seeing they really are cavemen, Mr. Spacely introduces them to the press.
Stuck in the past, George asks Mr. Slate for a job. Slate, however, initially refuses, but when Tarpit offers George a job himself, Slate immediately makes George his partner. George becomes famous. Using their newfound fame and riches, the Jetsons buy multiple local businesses, including a car lot, a clothing store, and several beauty salons. Pretty soon though, the Jetsons begin to get stressed and cannot handle owning so many businesses.
Mr. Spacely makes Fred the spokesman for his company, but R.U.D.I. accidentally leaks this information to S.A.R.A. When Spacely is introducing Fred to some important investors, Cogswell shows up and introduces Barney. Fred and Barney fight, as Barney is jealous of Fred for taking all of the glory.
Meanwhile, Rosie asks R.U.D.I. to help her and Henry try to fix the time machine to find the Jetsons. S.A.R.A arrives and demands that R.U.D.I get rid of Rosie, but R.U.D.I agrees that he'll do whatever he can to get the Jetsons back and leaves S.A.R.A. for good. They are able to make the time machine work, Rosie is transported to the Stone Age, and she finds her family.
Able to return home, the Jetsons leave, taking Dino and Fred's car with them. Mr. Spacely concocts a brilliant idea to use Fred's car to invent futuristic replicas of them, and his business of selling Stone Age style cars become successful, much to Cogswell's dismay. Barney and Fred repair their friendship, and before they return home, George uses his partnership with Mr. Slate to give them their jobs back. Just as they are about to leave, Elroy tells them the time machine is broken and cannot be repaired. However, they're able to return to the Stone Age because their car absorbed the time machine's "quadrapotents". The Jetsons say a friendly farewell to their friends the Flintstones.
Character voices 
- Jon Bauman - Iggy
- Mel Blanc - Barney Rubble / Dino / Mr. Spacely
- Daws Butler - Elroy Jetson / Cogswell / Henry Orbit
- Hamilton Camp - Turk Tarpit
- Henry Corden - Fred Flintstone / Knight
- Julie Dees - Betty Rubble / Jet Rivers / Investor / Panelist / Harem Girl
- Don Messick - Astro / R.U.D.I / Mac / Announcer / Store Manager / Robot
- George O'Hanlon - George Jetson
- Penny Singleton - Jane Jetson
- Hal Smith - Narrator (impersonating Mr. Pebblehead)
- John Stephenson - Mr. Slate / Moderator / Investor / Poker Player
- Brenda Vaccaro - Didi
- Jean Vander Pyl - Wilma Flintstone / Rosie / Mrs. Spacely
- Janet Waldo - Judy Jetson / Female Computer
- Frank Welker - Dan Rathmoon / Johnny / Mr. Goldbrick
- Patric Zimmerman - additional character voice
This movie was the last time that the entire Jetsons voice cast was together (same with The Flintstones cast) as the final Jetsons animated movie (The Jetsons Movie in 1990) was made after Daws Butler died and Janet Waldo was out as Judy and replaced with singer Tiffany). Any further legitimate Flintstones specials were done with Frank Welker as Barney Rubble (Mel Blanc and George O'Hanlon died during the final production of The Jetsons Movie).
Pop culture 
The film was referenced in The Simpsons episode "A Star Is Burns". Bart Simpson is watching the film The Flintstones Meet the Jetsons and after he criticizes the "cheap" crossover, Jay Sherman, the main character of the animated TV show The Critic, introduces himself to Bart.
Home media releases 
The televised feature has been released on VHS three times, first by Worldvision Home Video, then by Kid Klassics (using the same cassette as the previous release) in 1987, its parent company, GoodTimes Home Video in 1989, and by Warner Home Video on July 3, 2001.
On June 14, 2011, Warner Archive released The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones on DVD in region 1 for the very first time, as part of their Hanna–Barbera Classics Collection. This is a Manufacture-on-Demand (MOD) release, available exclusively through Warner's online store and Amazon.com
- "An Animated Jetsons Party". The Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 2010-12-22.
- The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones [VHS]. "The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones [VHS]: Henry Corden, George O'Hanlon, Jean Vander Pyl, Penny Singleton, Janet Waldo, Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Hamilton Camp, Frank Welker, John Stephenson, Don Messick, Julie McWhirter, Jon 'Bowzer' Bauman, Brenda Vaccaro, Don Lusk: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones [VHS]. "The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones [VHS]: George O'Hanlon, Henry Corden, Penny Singleton, Jean Vander Pyl, Jon 'Bowzer' Bauman, Mel Blanc, Daws Butler, Hamilton Camp, Julie McWhirter, Don Messick, John Stephenson, Brenda Vaccaro, Don Lusk, Ray Patterson, Bernard Wolf, Bob Hathcock, Joseph Barbera, William Hanna, Arthur Alsberg, Don Nelson: Movies & TV". Amazon.com. Retrieved 2012-07-07.
- The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones at the Internet Movie Database
- The Jetsons Meet the Flintstones at AllRovi