The Jewish War
|The Jewish War|
Hebrew-Latin edition of the Jewish War (Basle, 1559)
|Original title||Flavius Josephus's Books of the History of the Jewish War against the Romans|
|Language||Aramaic (lost), Greek|
|Publication date||c. 75 AD|
|Followed by||Antiquities of the Jews|
The Jewish War or Judean War (in full Flavius Josephus's Books of the History of the Jewish War against the Romans, Greek: Φλαβίου Ἰωσήπου ἱστορία Ἰουδαϊκοῦ πολέμου πρὸς Ῥωμαίους βιβλία, Phlabiou Iōsēpou historia Ioudaikou polemou pros Rōmaious biblia), also referred to in English as The Wars of the Jews, is a book written by Josephus, a Jewish historian of the 1st century.
It is a description of Jewish history from the capture of Jerusalem by the Seleucid ruler Antiochus IV Epiphanes in 164 BC to the fall and destruction of Jerusalem in the First Jewish–Roman War in 70 AD. The book was written about 75, originally in Josephus's "paternal tongue", probably Aramaic, though this version has not survived. It was later translated into Greek, probably under the supervision of Josephus himself.
The sources of knowledge of the First Jewish–Roman War are: this account of Josephus, the Talmud (Gittin 57b), Midrash Eichah, and the Hebrew inscriptions on the Jewish coins minted, and Book V of Tacitus' Histories.
- Flavius Josephus: Translation and Commentary. Judean war, Flavius Josephus, Steve Mason, Honora Chapman
- The Sicarii in Josephus's Judean War, Mark Andrew Brighton
- Palestine in the Time of Jesus: Social Structures and Social Conflicts, K. C. Hanson, Douglas E. Oakman
- THE SLAVONIC JOSEPHUS' ACCOUNT OF THE BAPTIST AND JESUS
- The Jewish War: Revised Edition. ISBN 0-14-044420-3.
- H. Leeming and K. Leeming: Josephus' "Jewish War" and Its Slavonic Version: A Synoptic Comparison. Ancient Judaism & Early Christianity, Brill (1999). ISBN 90-04-11438-6.
|Wikisource has original text related to this article:|
- Resources > Second Temple and Talmudic Era > Flavius Josephus The Jewish History Resource Center - Project of the Dinur Center for Research in Jewish History, The Hebrew University of Jerusalem
- The Wars of the Jews at Project Gutenberg
- The Wars of The Jews public domain audiobook
- The Wars of the Jews at the Perseus Project.
- Notes on the Old Slavonic Josephus
- Hear a discussion and analysis of this monograph, on an episode of the radio series "Invitation to Learning."