The John Henry Newman School
|Motto||Cor ad cor loquitur (in English this means "Heart speaks to heart")|
|Headteacher||Mr C. Mathew |
|Founder||Archdiocese of Westminster|
|DfE URN||137895 Tables|
|Ofsted||Reports Pre-academy reports|
|Colours||Blue, red and gold|
The John Henry Newman School is a Roman Catholic secondary school with academy status at Stevenage in Hertfordshire, England. In its 2006 Ofsted inspection it was classed as an Outstanding school and the diocesan report found it to be an outstanding Catholic school. It converted to academy status on 1 March 2012.
St. Michael's College was established in Grove Road, Hitchin—next to the site of a new Catholic church—in 1903 by Fr. A. Prével of the Society of Saint Edmund. In 1925, the priests from the Order of Augustinians of the Assumption assumed control of both the church and the college. St. Michael's College was a Catholic boys' school which housed a number of boarding pupils. In 1953, following a General Inspection, the College was granted temporary recognition as an independent grammar school and this status was made permanent in 1958.
The expansion of Stevenage New Town, during the 1960s, led to the relocation of the school to Sandown Road, Stevenage, in 1968. It changed its name to St. Michael's School and became a comprehensive.
In 1985, the process of merging St. Michael's School with St. Angela's School for Girls began. The merging process was completed in 1987 and the site of St. Michael's was sold, while the new "John Henry Newman School" moved to the former site of St. Angela's on Hitchin Road. The name of the school commemorates Cardinal John Henry Newman.
- Lewis Hamilton, Formula One (motor racing) driver & 2008 World Champion 
- Ashley Young, Manchester United footballer 
- David Drew, politician; also a former pupil of the school
- Rt. Reverend David Konstant, 8th Bishop of Leeds. Acting Head 1967 (at St Michael's, Stevenage)
- 2012 - Archbishop Vincent Nichols
- Emma Bridgeman-Williams, director of EastEnders and other TV series; Head of Drama 2008
- "Home | John Henry Newman". Johnhenrynewman.herts.sch.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- England. "EduBase - The John Henry Newman Catholic School". Education.gov.uk. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- "Stevenage school first to become an academy - News". The Comet. 2012-03-02. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- The John Henry Newman School official website (in biographical sketch of the late Jill Biggs). Retrieved 2011-01-29.
- "Southern Counties - Sport - Lewis Hamilton fact file". BBC. 1985-01-07. Retrieved 2013-06-16.
- Viner, Brian (6 October 2008). "Ashley Young ... sporting prodigy". The Independent (London).
- "Rt. Reverend David Konstant".
- The John Henry Newman School official website
- St. Michael's College
- Hitchin Parish History
- Stevenage Parish History