The Joy of Flying
|The Joy of Flying|
|Studio album by Tony Williams|
The Joy Of Flying is a Jazz fusion album by Tony Williams. Although it was recorded at the end of the The Tony Williams Lifetime years, it is considered a solo album. It includes three duets, two with Jan Hammer and one with Cecil Taylor, and three different quartets. The first quartet features Jan Hammer again along with George Benson and Paul Jackson on two songs. The second quartet has veterans Herbie Hancock, Stanley Clarke and Tom Scott also for two songs.
The third quartet presents the "Tony Williams All Stars" for one song, "Open Fire". In July 1978, Tony welcomed rock guitarist Ronnie Montrose, who had recently finished touring to promote his jazz fusion influenced Open Fire album. The group was rounded out with Brian Auger and Mario Cipollina as they toured Japan. The concert at Japan's Denen Coliseum was recorded and other songs on the set list included "Rocky Road" and "Heads Up" from Open Fire, "Red Alert" and "Wildlife" from Believe It, "There Comes a Time" from Ego, "Dragon Song" from Brian Auger's Oblivion Express and "Capricorn" with special guest Billy Cobham.
Track listing and Personnel
- "Going Far" (Jan Hammer) - 4:13 Keyboards, Synthesizers - Jan Hammer
- "Hip Skip" (George Benson) - 8:03 Guitar - George Benson, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer, Electric bass - Paul Jackson, Saxophone - Michael Brecker, Percussion - Ralph MacDonald
- "Hittin' on 6" (Tom Scott) - 6:16 Lyricon - Tom Scott, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Herbie Hancock, Electric bass - Stanley Clarke
- "Open Fire" (Ronnie Montrose, Edgar Winter) - 6:18 Electric guitar - Ronnie Montrose, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Brian Auger, Electric bass - Mario Cipollina
- "Tony" (Stanley Clarke) - 6:50 Lyricon - Scott, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hancock, Electric bass - Clarke
- "Eris" (Hammer) - 3:33 Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer
- "Coming Back Home" (Hammer) - 6:06 Guitar - Benson, Keyboards, Synthesizers - Hammer, Electric bass - Jackson
- "Morgan's Motion" (Cecil Taylor) - 8:18 Concert grand piano - Cecil Taylor
- Drums on all tracks - Tony Williams
Additional horns on "Hip Skip"
- David Sanborn - Alto saxophone
- Ronnie Cuber - Baritone saxophone
- Barry Rogers - Trombone
- Randy Brecker - Trumpet
- Jon Faddis - Trumpet
- Produced by Tony Williams
- Engineered by Jan Hammer (tracks 1,6), Don Puluse (tracks 2,7), Fred Catero (tracks 3,5), Tom Suzuki (track 4), Stanley Tonkel (track 8) Jack Malken
- Tony Williams; "Joy Of Flying" liner notes; Columbia Records 1978