||This article may require copy editing for grammar, style consistency, wordiness and Manual of Style compliance. (October 2014)|
K-Multimedia Player v3.7
|Original author(s)||Kang Yong-Huee|
|Initial release||1 October 2002|
|Stable release||220.127.116.11 (9 February 2015) [±]|
|Written in||Delphi, C++Builder, Netwide Assembler and Visual C++|
|Operating system||Microsoft Windows|
|Available in||English, Albanian, Arabic, Belarusian, Brazilian Portuguese, Bulgarian, Chinese, Czech, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean (Default), Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian and Vietnamese|
K-Multimedia Player (commonly known as The KMPlayer, KMPlayer or KMP) is a media player for Windows which can play a large number of formats including VCD, DVD, AVI, MKV, Ogg, OGM, 3GP, MPEG-1/2/4, WMV, RealMedia, FLV and QuickTime. It has a significant user base and has received strong ratings and reviews on major independent download sites.
KMPlayer was originally developed by Kang Young-Huee and was first released on 1 October 2002. On 5 March 2008, The KMPlayer's Forum announced that the KMPlayer had been acquired by Pandora TV (a Korean streaming video company) in August 2007.
KMPlayer is known under several names. In version 18.104.22.1688, the player is labeled both KMPlayer and KMP on its main user interface. The About page refers to it as "The KMPlayer Professional Media Player" and "The KMPlayer". The version page refers to it as "KMPlayer". The license page says:
Introduction of KMP KMPlayer (Hereinafter, referred to as KMP) : KMP is a freeware. Its full name is K-Multimedia Player. But, it is also called as KMP, KMPlayer, KMP Player or kmp player.
The player handles a wide range of audio, video and subtitles formats and allows one to capture audio, video, and screenshots. It provides both internal and external filters with a fully controlled environment in terms of connections to other splitters, decoders, audio/video transform filters and renderers without grappling with the DirectShow merit system (a system of selecting and prioritizing codecs across the entire Windows operating system). Internal filters are not registered into the system's registry to prevent the operating system from confusing system filters with K-Multimedia Player's filters.
The player can set many audio and video effects, slow down or increase playback speed, select parts of a video as favorites, do various A-B repeats, remap the keys of remote interface for HTPC including overlay screen controls, and change a skin dynamically depending on a media type playing. KMP is completely customizable thanks to a wide selection of skins and color schemes, as well extensive the configuration options.
KMPlayer supports 3D format (side-by-side, top and bottom) videos with a low CPU Memory share and provides an optimized, stable playback through GPU support. With a one click of a button, you’ll be able to experience the amazing 3D home cinema world and you conveniently can enjoy 3D Contents without downloading with 3D Movie Plus Apps being provided by KMP Plus.
KMPlayer Mobile App
KMPlayer Mobile App was released March 15, 2014. Users are now able to download KMPlayer onto their phones for both android and iOS.
KMP Connect was released May 14, 2014 now allowing users of KMPlayer PC to connect to their KMPlayer mobile app. With this feature, users will now be able to stream any video file they have on their PC straight to their phones no matter where they are.
Supported files and devices
||This section contains embedded lists that may be poorly defined, unverified or indiscriminate. (April 2011)|
||This section is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (April 2011)|
- Incomplete/damaged AVI files (the player can skip damaged frames)
- the player can handle Locked media files while downloading or sharing (with real-time index rebuilding under certain conditions: AVI downloading in consecutive order)
- the player supports incoming streams delivered via HTTP (ASF/OGG/MP3/AAC/MPEG PS/MPEG TS: only work with internal splitters)
- the player supports DirectShow playback (AVI, WMV, MKV, MOV, MP4, Ogg theora, ogm, rmvb, mpeg1, mpeg2, http:// etc. including almost every audio format playable via other supported decoders)
- the player features an Async File Source(network) filter for memory caching
- Compressed Audio Album Support (zip, rar)
- Shoutcast (Including NSV), Icecast
- DTS Wave, AC3, AAC, Ogg, Ape, MPC, FLAC, AMR, ALAC, SHN, WV, Module (MOD, S3M, MTM, UMX, XM and IT), etc.
- Google Video (GVI), Flash Video (FLV), Nullsoft Streaming Video (NSV), 3GP, PMP, VOB
- Real Engine + DirectShow (needs RealPlayer or Real Alternative or its decoders)
- QuickTime engine + DirectShow (needs QuickTime or Alternative or its decoders)
- the MPlayer engine is supported, but is not shipped with the package.
- WinAmp input plugin support
- Blu-Ray playback
- DVD playback, ratDVD support (needs ratDVD filters)
- Audio CD (2000, XP only)
- Video CD/SVCD/XCD: CDXA Format (2000, XP only)
- VCD image file (BIN/ISO/IMG/NRG)
- WDM device support like TV/HDTV/Camera/Cam etc.
- Adobe Flash/FLC/FLI
- Various image files like png, gif, etc.
- Video containers: AVI, ASF, WMV, AVS, FLV, MKV, MOV, 3GP, MP4, MPG, MPEG, DAT, OGM, VOB, RM, RMVB, TS, TP, IFO, NSV
- Audio containers: MP3, AAC, WAV, WMA, CDA, FLAC, M4A, MID, MKA, MP2, MPA, MPC, APE, OFR, OGG, RA, WV, TTA, AC3, DTS
- Pictures: BMP, GIF, JPEG/JPG, PNG
- Playlists: ZIP/RAR (Audio archive only), LNK, ASX, WAX, M3U, M3U8, PLS, KPL, LNK, CUE, WVX, WMX
- Subtitles: RT, SMI, SMIL, SUB, IDX, ASS, SSA, PSB, SRT, S2K, USF, SSF, TXT, LRC
- Others: DVR-MS, DIVX, M4V, M2V, PART, VP6, RAM, RMM, SWF, TRP, FLC, FLI
KMPlayer includes many essential decoders required for media playback. For formats these decoders support in limited fashion, several types of external decoders can be specified, so that users can specify exactly what types of decoders play virtually any file format supported. Even though the KMP is based primarily upon DirectShow, it supports Winamp, RealMedia and QuickTime internally.
- Video codecs: DivX, XviD, Theora, WMV, MPEG-1, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, VP3, VP5, VP6, H.263(+), H.264(AVC1), CYUY, ASV1/2, SVQ1/3, MSVIDC, Cinepak, MS MPEG4 V1/2/3, FFV1, VCR1, FLV1, MSRLE, QTRLE Huffyuv, Digital Video, Indeo3, MJPEG, SNOW, TSCC, Dirac, VC-1, RealVideo, etc.
- Audio Codecs: AC3, DTS, LPCM, MP2, MP3, Vorbis, AAC, WMA, ALAC, AMR, QDM2, FLAC, TTA, IMA ADPCM, QCELP, EVRC, RealAudio, etc.
- External Codecs
- Media Priority to Connect among decoder types: DirectShow, Real, QuickTime, WinAmp and MPlayer
- Custom Filter Manager to force or block external filters
- System Filter Manager to manage (reregister or unregister) external filters
- Unicode text subtitles
- SAMI (.sami, .smi): Ruby tag support including almost every attributes
- SubRipText (.srt), MicroDVD (.sub), SMIL/RealText
- SSA, ASS, USF (Ruby support)
- VobSub, closed captions
- Sasami 2K (S2k)
- Embedded subtitles of ASF, MKV, OGM, MP4, MOV, VOB, 3GP
- Text-to-speech for reading subtitles
- Supports up to three sets of subtitles simultaneously
KMPlayer supports the following types of Winamp v2/v5 plugins: input, DSP/effect, visualization and general-purpose. The path in which these plugins can be found and their corresponding settings can be specified.
- Winamp plugins: input, DSP (can stack), visual (can stack), general plugins (media library etc. support)
- KMP video plugins by SDK (can stack)
- DScaler filter support (can stack)
Ionut Ilascu, writing for Softpedia noted "The application is definitely one of the most complete video players on the market offering a huge suite of options to tweak it to your own liking." and concluded "KMPlayer does a wonderful job as a video player, supporting the most popular formats and dealing formidably with DVD video.", the program received an overall score of 4 out of 5 earning a rating of "Very Good" and also receiving the Softpedia Pick award.
Seth Rosenblatt of CNET's Download.com also reviewed KMPlayer 3.0 and gave it a score of 5 out of 5 saying it "is one of the most powerful freeware video players we've seen" but mentioned a lack of online help or documentation as a shortcoming.
Tina Sieber, writing for MakeUseOf noted "It natively supports a myriad of audio and video formats [...] it offers many advanced features, is extremely customizable, and is available in multiple languages" and "If you are looking for a versatile multimedia player for Windows, KMPlayer may be just the one." also noting "The KMPlayer interface is simple enough for the average person to use it as a basic media player."
George.J, writing for Tech Support Alert, noted "KMPlayer definitely stands out" concluding "KMPlayer works like a charm and my experience with the player has been excellent. If you’re looking for a light yet a powerful video player, KMPlayer could be your best choice."
Mihai Matei, writing for FileCluster, noted "Overall this media player is very promising and manages to deliver a high-quality experience to the user" concluding "KMPlayer is a great media player. It combines both performance and user-friendliness in a seamless way and delivers a good experience."
- "최강의 미디어 플레이어 KMPlayer Build 300 (The ultimate media player KMPlayer Build 300)" (in Korean). 한국 델파이 동호회 델마당 (Korea Delphi Club delmadang). 1 October 2002. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
- "KMPlayerㅣMultimedia Player". 2014-10-12. Retrieved 2015-02-17.
- Yong-Huee, Kang. "기본설명 (Basic information)". Kang Yong-Huee Homepage. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
제작언어/제작환경 [...] 델파이 7 [...] C++ Builder 6 [...] NASM [...] DJGPP(GCC 3.2) [...] VC++ 6.0 (Translation: Authoring language / authoring environment [...] Delphi 7 C++ Builder 6 [...] NASM [...] DJGPP(GCC 3.2) [...] VC++ 6.0)
- "To all KMPlayer users". The KMPlayer's Forums. 5 March 2008. Retrieved 20 May 2010.
In order to develop the KMPlayer to the next level to accommodate growing needs from all over the world, Pandora TV, the largest video streaming company in Korea has acquired the technology including the source code and core engine for the KMPlayer from the original developer, Kang Yong-Huee on August, 2007.
- "KMPlayer 22.214.171.1248 Final". MajorGeeks.com. 15 September 2010.
- "Software License Agreement", The KMPlayer 126.96.36.1995 (kmplayer.com),
Its full name is K-Multimedia Player. But, it is also called as KMP, KMPlayer, KMP Player or kmp player.
- Lanier, Chris (31 March 2005). merit system "Understanding DirectShow Merits". Chris Lanier Blog. Microsoft Corporation. Retrieved 18 January 2011.
- "Skins". The KMPlayer's Forums. Pandora TV. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- KMPlayer Internal Audio Decoder Preferences, Retrieved 2014-10-22
- "Five Best Video Players". Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "Uber Configurable Video Player" (28 January 2008). Softpedia. SoftNews NET SRL. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- Rosenblatt, Seth (6 November 2008). "KMPlayer". Download.com. CNET. Archived from the original on 3 May 2012. Retrieved 3 August 2011.
- KMPlayer - Download
- "KMPlayer – The Best Media Player Ever?". Retrieved 9 July 2012.
- "KMPlayer 188.8.131.522 < Media Players and Managers < PC World India Downloads < PCWorld.in". Retrieved 9 July 2012.