The Keeper of the Stars
|"The Keeper of the Stars"|
|Single by Tracy Byrd|
|from the album No Ordinary Man|
|Released||February 2, 1995|
Danny "Bear" Mayo
|Tracy Byrd singles chronology|
"The Keeper of the Stars" is a song written by Dickey Lee, Danny "Bear" Mayo and Karen Staley, and recorded by American country music artist Tracy Byrd. It was released in February 1995 as the fourth and last single from his album No Ordinary Man, it went on to reach a peak of #2 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts. A year after its release, it was named Song of the Year by the Country Music Association.
The song is a ballad in which the singer addresses his lover, telling her that a third party must have been responsible for bringing them together. Specifically, that third party is defined as being "the keeper of the stars" (i.e., God).
A different recording of the song, one semitone lower than the album version, was released as the radio edit. This re-recording was made because Byrd felt that he sang it better in a lower key, and he sang it in the lower key while performing in concert. The radio edit was also used in the song's music video, which aired on Country Music Television and The Nashville Network (now Spike TV).
Initially, Byrd's label (MCA Records) had not planned for "The Keeper of the Stars" to be a single, until his publicist realized that the song had been receiving positive feedback for it in concert. The fourth single from Byrd's No Ordinary Man album, "The Keeper of the Stars" spent twenty weeks on the Billboard Hot Country Singles & Tracks (now Hot Country Songs) charts, reaching a peak position of number two.
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||5|
|US Billboard Hot 100||68|
|US Hot Country Songs (Billboard)||2|
|Canada Country Tracks (RPM)||98|
|US Country Songs (Billboard)||53|
- Whitburn, Joel (2008). Hot Country Songs 1944 to 2008. Record Research, Inc. p. 73. ISBN 0-89820-177-2.
- AOL Music profile for "Keeper of the Stars"
- "ACMs - Previous Winners - Song of the Year". About.com. Retrieved 2008-03-05.
- Brian Mansfield (April 1995). "City Lights: Byrd's Latest 'Keeper'". New Country 2 (5): 16. ISSN 1074-536X.
- "RPM Country Tracks. RPM. May 15, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Tracy Byrd Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot 100 for Tracy Byrd.
- "Tracy Byrd Album & Song Chart History" Billboard Hot Country Songs for Tracy Byrd.
- "RPM Top 100 Country Tracks of 1995". RPM. December 18, 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Best of 1995: Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 1995. Retrieved July 21, 2013.