The Kingdom of The Winds
|The Kingdom of The Winds|
|Also known as||The Land of the Wind|
|Written by||Wan-kyu Choi
|Directed by||Ji Byung-Hyun
|Country of origin||South Korea|
|No. of episodes||36|
|Running time||Wednesday & Thursday 21:55 (KST)|
|Original channel||Korean Broadcasting System|
|Original run||10 September 2008– 15 January 2009|
|Preceded by||Korean Ghost Stories|
|Followed by||My Dad Loves Trouble|
The Kingdom of The Winds, (Hangul: 바람의 나라), also known as The Land of The Wind, is a 2008 South Korean historial drama, broadcast on KBS from 10 September 2008 to 15 January 2009. It was directed by Kang Il-soo, written by Choi Wan-gyu, Jung Jin-ok, Park Jin-woo; adapted from manhwa by Kim Jin.
|This section requires expansion. (January 2011)|
The drama is about the life of the third King of Koguryeo, King Muhyul/Daemusin who was called the god of wars. The drama depicted Muhyul as a person who was born with a curse to kill his parents, siblings, son and destroy his own country. His father, King Yuri, feared that this prophecy would come to pass, but couldn't bring himself to kill his own son. He ordered his elder son, Haemyung, to take baby Muhyul with him outside the palace to live as a commoner. So Haemyung takes Muhyul to his Chief Decorator friend, Hae-Ap who works in King Jumong's grave.Twenty years pass and Muhyul is a grown up man who doesn't know anything about his true identity. Dae-so, then an old man, wants to get the Sword of Jumong for his benefit since it was claimed that the owner of it would be the ruler of the Northern territory. He then sends his Huk-young- personal guards who train especially for the protection and usage of the Buyeoh King- to the cave where Hae ap works. When they enter, they are unable to get the sword while Muhyool and Maro are busy with their mischief since Muhyool hates staying and learning in Jumong's cave which is boring from his point. Hae ap fights with the Huk young and gets defeated, then Muhyool comes out and finds his teacher fighting with them and attempts to hit them though he's unsuccessful. They are then caught while Maro has gone for help and are threatened to take the sword form inside the cave in exchange for their lives. It is a hard task since two Huk youngs have already died. So, Muhyool takes the chance of going there since he doesn't want his teacher dead and yearns to leave the cave someday. He eventually succeeds and comes out with it. Hae ap is shocked while Hae myung comes for help and kils all the Huk youngs. Later, when HAe myung- Mu hyools older brother- is conversing with Hae ap, she asks him how Mu hyool was able to get the sword while she had once tried numerous times and had failed, and who is he exactly?. Hae myung tells her that it is not time yet for her to know. He then leaves and promises her that he will tell her one day.
In 36 episodes, the drama focused on Muhyul and his nefarious fate. In an attempt to kill King Daeso of Buyeo, Haemyung, Muhyul and their gang fail, leading to Haemyung's suicide. Upon hearing this, the traumatized Muhyul (who thinks that Yuri is behind Haemyung's death) seeks revenge. So he joins forces with The Black Shadows secret army of Buyeo, where he meets Dojin, an assassin in that army who was once a prince of Buyeo. He also meets Yeon, a Buyeo Princess who is physician. Dojin, who has been raised with Yeon since they were children, noticed the growing feelings between Muhyul and Yeon, so he holds a grudge against Muhyul.
- Song Il Gook as Prince Muhyul / Daemusin.
- Choi Jung-won as Princess Yeon.
- Kim Jung-hwa as Princess Lee Ji
- Park Gun-hyung as Prince Dojin.
- Jung Jin-young as King Yuri.
- Kim Hye Ri as Lady Mi Yoo (Yeo Jin’s mother).
- Lee Jong-won as Prince Hae Myeong (Muhyul’s brother).
- Kim Hye Sung as Prince Yeojin.
- Lee Si Young as Yeon Hwa.
- Oh Yoon Ah as Hye-Ap.
- Kim Jae Wook as Chu Balso.
- Jang Tae Sung as Maro (Muhyul's friend).
- Kim Sang-ho as Ma Hwang.
- Park Sang Wook as Gwi Yoo.
- Han Jin-hee as King Daeso.
- Park Jung Hak as Sa Goo.
- Im Jung-eun as Princess Se Ryu.
- Kim Byung Gi as Sang Ga.
- Kim Gyu Chul as Myung Jin.
- Kim Won Hyo as Gong Chan.
- Kim Myung Soo as Goo Chu.
- Jung Sung Mo as Bae Geuk.
Themes: Alive Even After Death by Wheesung
- This is the second time that Song Il Gook has portrayed a king of Koguryeo. He previously played Jumong, Muhyul's grandfather, in 2006's Jumong.
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Top Excellence Actor (Song Il Gook)
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Best Couple Award (Song Il Gook and Choi Jung-won)
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Best male actor (Jung Jin Young)
- 2008 KBS Drama Awards: Best female actress (Choi Jung-won)
- The Kingdom of The Windsr at HanCinema