The Klingon Dictionary
|Genre||Science Fiction / Linguistics|
|Media type||Print (Paperback)|
The Klingon Dictionary is a book by Marc Okrand describing the Klingon language. First published in 1985 and then again with an addendum in 1992, it includes pronunciation, grammar and vocabulary. It has sold more than three hundred thousand copies  and has been translated into four languages.
The book is a description of the grammar with few examples for every rule. It is not suitable for active learning and practice of the language, because it does not contain any exercises. It has never been intended as a learning book. Its source was intended as a guide for scriptwriters and actors. It was only later sold for merchandising for Star Trek fans.
The dictionary is written from an in-universe perspective. After a brief introduction about the Klingon culture and also how the book has been written, the pronunciation of the Klingon letters is described. Instead of using phonetic symbols, the letters of the Latin alphabet are used, some of them written in upper case to distinguish special pronunciations. For instance q and Q are different sounds, and the combination ng is considered as one single letter. The largest part of the book is a description of the grammar, including briefly described rules sorted by type of words, accompanied by few examples for each grammatical topic. The last part of the book contains a list of vocabulary with roughly 1,500 words, followed by a list of useful phrases. The addendum of 1992 contains some new grammatical details and a list of about 200 new words that appeared in or were created for later movies and in the TV show Star Trek: The Next Generation.
In 2009, publisher Simon & Schuster introduced an iPhone application version of The Klingon Dictionary as part of three applications rolled into a Klingon Language Suite. The new digital format features a precise pronunciation guide, rules for proper use of affixes and suffixes, and a search menu.
The following translation was German in 1996 bearing the title Das offizielle Wörterbuch Klingonisch/Deutsch ("The Official Klingon-German Dictionary"). That book contains many typos and incorrect translations, which can be misleading when learning the language. A revised version, corrected by Klingon teacher Lieven Litaer, was released in 2013.
In 2008 the dictionary was translated into Czech with the title Klingonský slovník ("Klingon Dictionary").
- In the season 2 episode "The Panty Piñata Polarization" of The Big Bang Theory, the dictionary is being used during a game of Klingon Boggle.
- Okrent, Arika (2009). In the Land of Invented Languages: Esperanto Rock Stars, Klingon Poets, Loglan Lovers, and the Mad Dreamers Who Tried to Build A Perfect Language. Spiegel & Grau. p. 272. ISBN 0-385-52788-8.
- "The Star Trek: The Klingon Dictionary eBook: Marc Okrand: Amazon.de: Kindle-Shop" (in German). Amazon.de. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "klingonisch.net - Liste der Fehler im Deutschen Wörterbuch" (in German). Qephom.de. 2013-08-19. Retrieved 2013-10-21.
- "STAR TREK® - Das offizielle Wörterbuch: Klingonisch - Deutsch / Deutsch - Klingonisch: Amazon.de: Marc Okrand, Lieven Litaer: Bücher" (in German). Amazon.de. 2009-09-09. Retrieved 2013-10-21.