The Knockouts band members, Ted Jergelind, Johan Frandsen, Kennet Stone
|Genres||Punk, Alternative rock, rock 'n' roll, Rockabilly, Punkabilly|
|Labels||Diamond Prime Music
Sound Pollution AB
|Associated acts||Brian Setzer, The Living End, The Stray Cats, The GoGetters, Guana Batz, Mad Sin|
|Website||The Knockouts Official website|
|Past members||Mike Brunkvist|
The Knockouts are a Swedish rock band from Stockholm, Sweden, formed in 1996.
The current lineup consists of Johan Frandsen (vocals, guitar), Kennet Stone (double bass, vocals) and Ted Jergelind, (Drums). The band has risen to fame in 2010 after the release of the album Among the Vultures.
They have released three studio albums and one EP compilation in Sweden and throughout Europe . The album Among the Vultures was nominated for Best Punk Rock Album at the 2011 Independent Music Awards, and two singles from the album were nominated for best punk song "Heat for the Hunted" and best Alt. Country song "Ever Been Hurt". The Knockouts added Best Punk Rock Album to their collection as voted by the industry panel including Joe Perry of Aerosmith, Benji Madden & Joel Madden, Good Charlotte, and Ozzy Osbourne in the Independent Music Awards.
Performing hundreds of jam-packed and sold-out shows, The Knockouts have gained a reputation of delivering what is now described as a "cocky punk rock" sound with an aggressive rockabilly technique.
- 1 Recent activity
- 2 History
- 3 Awards and nominations
- 4 Endorsement
- 5 Members
- 6 Discography
- 7 References
- 8 External links
2012 saw The Knockouts working on new material for the upcoming album,during this time, illness within the band meant that touring schedules were kept to a minimum and work was directed to the songs for the new release (Due early 2013). A special event was held in September 2012 at Debaser Slussen Stockholm, Sweden. Slim Jim Phantom from the world famous Stray Cats and Jonny Bowler from the Guana Batz flew from Los Angeles to join The Knockouts on stage in a once only special event to a soldout show, celebrating Johan Frandsen´s 30th birthday.
The European summer started with a performance with Brian Sezter on the premiere night of his tour at the 10-year celebration of the Azkena Rock Festival on the 25 June, Vitoria-Gasteiz, Spain to crowds of over 50,000 people, then onto sold out dates throughout Germany in Berlin, Hamburg and Cologne. The tour continued to be sold out through Scandinavia with dates in Copenhagen, Denmark, Stockholm, Sweden and Helsinki, Finland ending at the Helsinki Ice Hall (venue capacity of 8200) in Helsinki], Finland.
Highlight of the tour was the encore performance at the Helsinki Ice Hall on the last night of the tour when The Knockouts frontman Johan Frandsen joined Brian Setzer and Slim Jim Phantom on stage with a special rendition of the rockabilly classic, "Seven Nights to Rock". Setzer called Frandsen to the stage and handed his white Brian Setzer Hot Rod signature Gretsch Guitar to Johan to conclude the tour in Scandinavia.
The Knockouts' tours have included dates throughout Europe including countries such as, Sweden, Finland, Denmark, Germany, Finland, Czech Republic and Spain. They have played at festivals such as the West Coast Riot and The Peace and Love Festival, alongside Brian Setzer, Social Distortion and The Living End. They supported The Living End in 2009 on their first Scandinavian tour date for the Raise the Alarm World Tour – in Stockholm, Sweden. Frontman Johan Frandsen has also played with members of the Stray Cats, Guana Batz, Mad Sin and gave the Swedish rockabilly band The GoGetters an extra injection of energy in over 300 gigs.
The beginnings (1996-2002)
Formed by Johan Frandsen in 1996. Their energetic and hard fought beginnings were captured with the release of their 1998 self-titled debut 7 inch single The Knockouts, produced by Thomas Skogsberg (The Hellacopters) 1999 to 2001 was spent touring, writing and preparing to record the full length promotional album Skyline Supernova, recorded in Sunlight Studio, Sweden and released in summer 2000, and various compilation recordings, including A Fistfull of Rock, Devil Doll Records. The success of their album scored them national support and the slot on the Hultsfred Festival, playing in the same year as bands such as Iggy Pop and Rocket from the Crypt.
The Knockouts self-titled EP (2003-2005)
After devouring two year's worth of gigs, and with a different way of looking at the Swedish punk rock scene, and following from the success of Skyline Supernova, in 2003 the trio went onto solidify its sound with the introduction of longtime drummer Ted Jergelind Early 2004 saw them head into the studio and record the 4 track EP self-titled The Knockouts. While writing new material during 2004–2006 for their second full length album and touring Sweden, Germany, Spain, Johan Frandsen (lead vocals, guitar) toured over 300 dates with internationally respected Swedish rockabilly band, The GoGetters.
The energy and injection of Johan Frandsen's rockabilly roots and unique "Knockouts" sound, bought a new edge to the GoGetters and the tour included shows all over Europe and the USA; headlining the Viva Las Vegas, supporting Stray Cats members, and playing with members from Mad Sin and Guana Batz.
El Fin de la Guerra (2006-2008)
In the midst of a relentless touring schedule between 2006–2008, new songs were bubbling to the surface in what would become El Fin de la Guerra. Recorded October 2007 and released 1 Feb 2008 this new album saw the band fly into a massive Europe and USA tour including planned dates in Sweden, Germany, Czech Republic, Finland, and the West Coast of the United States. Endorsement deals from Jam Music and Peerless Guitars sees a trademark white guitar appear on stage at the start of 2009 and Johan Frandsen supporting Jam/Peerless at both National and International guitar conventions.
They were busy on the festival circuit in the summer of 2009, including playing Earth Hour in Stockholm, then with The Living End and Social Distortion at The Westcoast Riot festival, and the Peace and Love Festival.
Among the Vultures (2009-2011)
...This album won´t leave lovers of quality rock unmoved. It is just so tight, intense, messy, expressive, powerful, explosive...
The official single, "Under the Light" is attracting radio play and reviews both in Scandinavia, USA and Europe. The song "Heat for the Hunted" was chosen 3rd on Sweden's National Radio Program - Håkan Persson's Sveriges Radio P3 as the best top ten songs for 2009
Awards and nominations
- The Knockouts Among the Vultures was nominated for Best Punk Rock Album at the 2011 Independent Music Awards, and two singles from the album were nominated for best punk song "Heat for the Hunted" and best alternative country song "Ever Been Hurt". he Knockouts added BEST Punk Rock Album to their collection as voted by the Industry panel including Joe Perry, Aerosmith, Benji Madden and Joel Madden, Good Charlotte, and Ozzy Osbourne.
- "Heat for the Hunted" from the album Among the Vultures was chosen 3rd on Sweden's National Radio Program Håkan Persson's Sveriges Radio P3 as the best top ten songs for 2009.
- The Knockouts were nominated as best upcoming act at the Bandit Rock Awards (Sweden's biggest rock radio station).
2010 saw Johan Frandsen debut as an endorsed artist with TV Jones guitars as a featured artist on the website with Brian Setzer, Chris Cheney and Billy Gibbons. This was soon followed up by support and endorsement from Fender and Gretsch Scandinavia. Frandsen is featured in a two-page spread in Fuzz magazine June 2011 issue No. 4 - The number one and only guitar magazine in Scandinavia. Talking about his inspiration.
- Johan Frandsen - Guitar, vocals (1996–present)
- Kennet Stone -Double bass, backing vocals (2009–present)
- Ted Jergelind – Drums, backing vocals (2003–present)
- 2000: Skyline Supernova
- 2004: The Knockouts EP Diamond Prime Music
- 2007: El Fin De la Guerra
- 2009: Among the Vultures Diamond Prime Music / Sound Pollution AB
- 1998: "The Knockouts - Can I Look But Not Touch 7" Vinyl
- 2009: "Under the Light" Diamond Prime Music / Sound Pollution AB
- 2010: "Ever Been Hurt" Diamond Prime Music / Sound Pollution AB
- 2011: "A lie like in Natalie" Diamond Prime Music / Sound Pollution AB
- 2011: "I Want you to want me" Diamond Prime Music / Sound Pollution AB
- 1998: Fistful of Rock 'N' Roll vol. 9. The Knockouts (Stripshow A Go-Go / Devil Doll Records)
- 2011: Dancing on Your Graves – A Rockabilly Tribute to The Hellacopters, The Knockouts, Freeway to Hell (Wild Kingdom/Sound Pollution)
- Gaffa.se  "The Knockouts support Brian Setzer's Rockabilly Riot", June 2011
- Mike, Sound Pollution Newsletter , 3 June 2011
- Óscar Cubillo, El Correo ,"Los cabezas de cartel roquero Brian Setzer", 28 June 2011
- Cass,, The Knockouts invade Psyhco Towers, 13 October 2008
- Author, Mattais Gustavavsson, , 6 November 2009
- Author, Mats Johansson , 11 November 2009
- Author, Jim Oby,  Knockout Punk with an Upright Bass!, 24 November 2009
- Author, Håkan Persson , 7 January 2010
- FUZZ The number one and only guitar magazine in Scandinavia May 2011