|Traded as||NYSE: XOXO|
XO Group Inc., formerly The Knot Inc., is a media company that publishes multi-media content for couples who are planning weddings, moving in together, or having their child. The company generates revenue through online advertising, merchandising, registry services, and publishing. The company headquarters are located in New York City, with offices in several locations in the US and in China.
David Liu and his wife Carley Roney and his business partners, Rob Fassino, and Michael Wolfson founded The Knot Inc. in 1996. They found that the internet would facilitate and reduce anxiety in the process of wedding planning between couples. After the startup received seed financing from AOL, the partners launched The Knot brand as a portal on AOL. In 1997, TheKnot.com launched on the internet.
Next, the company launched an online gift registry in partnership with QVC and published its first book, The Knot Complete Guide to Weddings in the Real World. In December 1999, the company raised $35 million in an initial public offering.
In 2001 it acquired WeddingPages, Inc., a publisher of regional bridal magazines, to expand its magazine offerings to local markets. Today, The Knot publishes regional magazines in 17 markets in the US. Online, the company hosts wedding vendor listings in its online directories.
In 2004, the company launched a television series, Real Weddings from The Knot, on the Oxygen Network, and in 2005 it launched a streaming online video channel, The Knot TV, that runs on TheKnot.com. In 2009, the company launched a wedding planning show, called The Knot LIVE, which streams in real time to TheKnot.com from its New York City headquarters once a week.
In April 2005, the company became listed on the NASDAQ Stock Market with the ticker symbol "KNOT".
The Nest brand launched in 2005 with a website, and a magazine followed in 2006. The brand serves cohabitating couples and newlyweds with lifestyle content about home décor, finance, making dinner, and getting along. The brand also has two books in print, The Nest Newlywed Handbook and The Nest Home Décor Handbook.
In 2005, The Knot created a CD of wedding music called "The Knot Collection of Ceremony & Wedding Music." The Company also partnered with American Express to offer a co-branded rewards card for The Knot and The Nest.
In 2006 the company acquired WeddingChannel.com, consolidating the bridal media industry.
In 2008, the company launched TheBump.com to serve expectant and new parents. The Bump Pregnancy Guides feature pregnancy-related content and local pregnancy & baby resources in a pocket-sized magazine distributed through OBGYN offices in 14 US markets.
Products and services
XO Group Inc. publishes wedding planning, nesting, and baby related content on multiple media platforms.
- Sitecore, Site of the Year 2009, TheKnot.com
- Ernst & Young, Metro New York Entrepreneur of the Year 2008, David Liu
- Time.com, Best 100 Lifestyle Sites 2008, TheNest.com
- Fortune Small Business, Top 100 Fastest Growing Companies of 2007 & 2006
- Crain’s, Forty Under 40 2008, Carley Roney
- NYU Tisch, Big Apple Award for Distinguished Alumni Achievements 2008, David Liu & Carley Roney
- Min, Best of Digital Media Award 2008, Marketing Campaign: The Nest Marriage Invaders Game
- Webby Award, The Knot.com
- Forbes, Best of the Web, TheKnot.com
- "Carley Roney and David Liu - Photo Essays". TIME. 2007-11-15. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "Corner Office: David Liu and Carley Roney Tie the Knot | SUCCESS Magazine | What Achievers Read". SUCCESS Magazine. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- Roney, Carley (2007-11-15). "Something Old, Something New". TIME. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "The Knot: Here Come The Brides". Businessweek.com. 2005-04-11. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- Hass, Nancy (1999-12-05). "A NIGHT OUT WITH - Carley Roney - At the .com Wedding". NYTimes.com. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- Tedeschi, Bob (2005-03-14). "Web Sites Try Offering TV Shows". The New York Times.
- "The Nest - 50 Best Websites 2008". TIME. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- "The Knot And WeddingChannel: Just Married". Businessweek.com. Retrieved 2010-03-25.
- http://forums.thebump.com/profile/bumpmaydate=. Retrieved 2015-01-14. Missing or empty
- "The Knot Inc. Highlights Expanded Footprint with New Corporate Name, XO Group Inc.". XO Group Inc. June 28, 2011. Retrieved July 21, 2013.
- "Sitecore Site of the Year - North America". Sitecore.net. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "The Entrepreneur Of The Year Awards 2008 National Winners - Ernst & Young - United States". Ey.com. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "The Nest - 50 Best Websites 2008". TIME. 2008-06-17. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "FSB 100 2008 - The Knot (KNOT) - from Fortune Small Business Magazine". Money.cnn.com. 2008-06-16. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Carley Roney - 2008 40 Under 40 - Crain's New York Business Rising Stars". Mycrains.crainsnewyork.com. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Tisch Gala to Honor Tony Winner Crudup; Spring Awakening Cast to Perform". Playbill.com. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "min's Best of the Web Awards Luncheon". MinOnline. 2008-04-14. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Webby Nominees". Webbyawards.com. Retrieved 2010-03-26.
- "Best of the Web". Forbes.com. Retrieved 2010-03-26.