The Last Challenge
|The Last Challenge|
Original film poster
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
|Produced by||Richard Thorpe|
|Written by||Albert Maltz|
|Music by||Richard Shores|
|Edited by||Richard W. Farrell|
|Distributed by||Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer (MGM)|
|Release dates||December 22, 1967|
|Running time||105 min|
A cocky young man from Tennessee, Lot McGuire (Chad Everett), seeks to back up his notion that he's the fastest gun there is. "If a man is second best, he might as well be dead," says McGuire. He travels to a town with the intention of forcing a duel with Marshal Dan Blaine (Ford), who's renowned for his skill with a gun.
Brothel owner Lisa Denton (Dickinson) loves Blaine, has marriage in mind and will do anything to ensure that happens. She hires a down-and-out drifter, Scarnes (Jack Elam), to kill McGuire. Scarnes and Blaine did time together in prison for a bank robbery many years ago, after which Blaine decided to do something good with his life, and became a lawman.
Outside of town, Scarnes ambushes McGuire and kills his horse, but during a shootout is gut-shot. McGuire finds out from a dying Scarnes that Lisa hired him. Lisa tells of her love for Blaine and asks Lot to leave town. He refuses.
Knowing a showdown is coming, Lisa grabs a Derringer pistol and decides to kill McGuire, but a disgusted Blaine takes the gun away. The two men meet at the bar and the showdown occurs there rather than in the street. McGuire draws his revolver (which is worn in a reverse fashion) first and fires. Blaine shoots him in the chest. A stunned McGuire dies, eyes open and speechless.
Blaine notices he has been shot in the side, but it is not fatal. The next day as McGuire's casket is being lowered into the ground, Blaine removes his gun and holster and throws it all into the grave. He rides out of town without a gun, as Lisa watches from the saloon steps, crying.
- Glenn Ford as Marshal Dan Blaine
- Angie Dickinson as Lisa Denton
- Chad Everett as Lot McGuire
- Robert Horton as The Marshall
- Gary Merrill as Squint Calloway
- Jack Elam as Ernest Scarnes
- Delphi Lawrence as Marie Webster
- Royal Dano as Pretty Horse
- Kevin Hagen as Frank Garrison
- Florence Sundstrom as Outdoors
- Marian Collier as Sadie
- Robert Sorrells as Deputy Harry Bell
- John Milford as Billy Turpin
- Frank McGrath as Ballard Weeks
- The Last Challenge at the Internet Movie Database
- The Last Challenge at the TCM Movie Database
- The Last Challenge at AllMovie
|This 1960s Western film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|