The Last Dodo
|This article does not cite any references or sources. (November 2008)|
|Doctor Who book|
|The Last Dodo|
|Series||New Series Adventures|
|Set between||"Evolution of the Daleks" and "Utopia"|
|Release date||April 19, 2007|
The Last Dodo is a BBC Books original novel written by Jacqueline Rayner and based on the long running science fiction television series Doctor Who. It features the Tenth Doctor and Martha Jones. It was published on 19 April 2007, after the television debut of companion Martha Jones, alongside Sting of the Zygons, and Wooden Heart.
The Doctor and Martha Jones go searching for the last dodo. They end up in a museum featuring the last examples of extinct species, all in suspended animation. Many of the exhibits are going missing. The Doctor himself is in danger because he is the last of his race.
- The novel takes place in the year 2062.
- Martha's I-Spyder e-book mentions the Sea Devils.
- Martha mentions having previously seen dinosaurs on her travels. This occurred during the Tenth Doctor New Series Adventures novel Made of Steel.
- The Doctor names the dodo "Dorothea". Dorothea was the name of former First Doctor companion, Dorothea "Dodo" Chaplet.
- Martha's I-Spyder book bears many similarities to the I-Spy line of books.
- The Doctor and Martha reference the good things that come in fours, including: the Fab Four (The Beatles, who had been enjoyed by the First Doctor and friends in The Chase), four seasons pizza, the Four Yorkshiremen sketch (At Last the 1948 Show), The Four Just Men, The Four Tops, the Fantastic Four, Radio 4 and the Four Tenors (until Martha reminds him that there are only three of them – and he claims he had had to turn them down).
- The novel was originally announced for September 2006 as The Last Museum, before being replaced with The Price of Paradise. This happened because the writer had not finished writing the book.
- The book was originally going to feature Rose.
- The Last Dodo title listing at the Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- The Last Dodo at the Doctor Who Reference Guide
- The Last Dodo at The TARDIS Library
- The Cloister Library - The Last Dodo